/9/S҉C҉A҉R҉E҉D҉ O҉F҉ M҉Y҉ O҉W҉N҉ I҉M҉A҉G҉E҉

⚠️Warning: self harm will be contained in this flashback⚠️

fєвяυαяу 10тн, 2008

    The bed sinks under Toby's weight as he flops onto it with little to no care for the ear-wrenching squeaking sound that came with it.

Connie and Richard were fighting... again.
You were with Lyra in her room.
Toby was completely alone.
Alone with the vulnerability of a hurt, baby bird surrounded by a pack of wolves.
The unfiltered shouts of his father seeped through the walls and reached Toby's ears, but never seemed to make it to his brain.

Nonetheless he knew this was bound to happen.
His father would keep making the same promise of being better, yet he would always end up back at square one.
Thus, leaving Toby alone in his room... with a knife in his hand.

He studied the gleaming object.
It was brand new, he could clearly see his tired reflection glaring back at him.
A sickening cracking
sound erupted, Toby's back shuddered, leaving him to unwillingly drop the knife on his blue carpet with a muffled thud.
"S-shit!"

He narrowed his big, doe-like eyes
and carefully dragged the sleeve of his black turtleneck up his arm.

Five cuts.
That's what laid near his wrist.
Some still red and fresh, others...
not so much.

Now to add another.

He dived for the knife and grabbed the handle quickly, resting it against his wrist.
His heart was practically going to burst out of his rib cage while a million thoughts in his head screamed at him to do it.
Somewhere in that sea of violent commands only one voice pleaded for him to stop... it was his.

Three...
two...
one-

"Making my way downtown!—"
He didn't even notice his door open and before he had the chance to hide everything... you caught him.

Your hand was clutched loosely on the gold doorknob.
The shock on your face matched a mother's expression when loosing her child.

"Kid... what the hell?"
Your words came out as a breathless whisper.

That's what sent him off.
All of Toby's built up emotions burst out of him like a broken pipe.
He broke down all too fast.
The knife dropped to the floor again but this time he didn't reach out for it.

It took you long enough to figure out why he was doing this.

You didn't know how to comfort someone though... but you could try.
You rushed over to him, resting by his side. Your hand cradled his skull while the other rested on his shaking
back.
All he could do was wail into the crook of your neck, enveloping himself around you; cuddling closer until there's no space left.
"I-I-I'm not crazy, I s-s-swear!
I just... I..."
Toby cried even harder.

You racked through your brain like a file cabinet for some sort of comforting quote until—
"it's okay, kid, you're sensitive.
Truly what an incredible thing to be."

With those words planted deep inside his mind he stared up at you, his muffled sobs disappearing and being replaced with tense silence.
You cupped his cheeks into your hands and wiped his remaining tears gently with your thumbs.

Your face held the look of utter acceptance. A look that everyone would want to see at least once in their life. A look that gave people the belief that they could accomplish whatever they wanted.
A look that has left Toby in total awestruck.

The voices inside his head seemed to quiet down immediately.

"Let's go get waffles, heard you've never tried them before.
After we'll... talk."
You smiled...
oh such a perfect smile that crushed Toby's heart.