Chapter 52

Sky

I'm in class, and I intend to show Peter a sign of forgiveness. Despite our fight, we have talked a few times here and there, due to me and Meg still being friends, and Kat always runs to me after school.
I shake my hands nervously, feeling the charms on my bracelet clash together with the movement. I stare at it as I bounce my legs, hoping it would calm my nerves.

I squint my eyes at the whiteboard and turn to Peter, leaning closer to him, still looking at the board.

"Hey, what's the second sentence?" I ask him, masking my nerves. He doesn't answer me for a moment, so I turn to look at him, seeing him staring at me with a dumbfounded look. I fight an amused smile as he blinks and snaps out whatever he was thinking about.

"It says that the poet used the clear night sky to describe the eyes of his lover." He smiles, and I return it, thanking him quickly before I lean back to continue taking notes. I feel Nat poking my waist from under her desk, and I fight off a squeal and chuckle very lightly, glancing back at her just to find her grinning at me and wiggling her eyebrows. 

Not soon enough, the class bell finally rings and we all hurry to pack our bags and get out of class, bored out of our minds.

I personally don't like poems, unless they're really meaningful and strong. I have written one myself, but I haven't shown it to anyone, afraid that it's too bad.

I see Peter leaving the class with Tim and the rest of their group, so I shoot a nervous smile towards Nat, who sends me a reassuring grin, gesturing for me to follow him. I take a deep breath and quickly get out of the class, avoiding bumping into anyone.

Can't you walk any faster?

I mentally groan as I cut in between two girls who did not stop talking at all. I look around, spotting Peter just around the corner. I sprint his way, holding onto my bag strap tightly.

I open my mouth to call him, but I only get the first letter of his name out before I'm very rudely cut off by Kevin holding onto my arm and pulling me back into him. I instantly take my arm out of his grip and stand back, glaring at him.

"Can I help you?" I say angrily, not noticing the person I wanted to talk to watching us.

"Wanna go out?" He simply says with a smirk and I roll my eyes.

"Aren't you bored of this already?" I ask tiredly before giving him a tight lipped smile. "I don't like you, and you don't like me. So please do me a favor and stay away from me."

I turn to leave but he grips my hand, and I pull back my hand once again only for him to reach out for it again, my glare intensifying. 

"Oh come on, don't be like that." He says. "I know you like me."

"Let go." I demand, venom dripping from my words.

This dude just brought out the demon in me, and she is very pretty; pretty deadly.

"Just admit it." He smirks.

I clench my jaw and am about to say something else when I hear someone speak from behind me.

"She said let her go." 

Peter.

My knight in shining flannel.

My heart beats faster and I can feel an overwhelming feeling of happiness burst through me. I must have missed him more than I thought.

Kevin looks between us and chuckles dryly.

"Not this again." He chuckles. "Aww, you two are matching, how sweet."

Apparently, Peter and I are matching today; both of us wearing a blue t-shirt with a blue flannel over it, paired with black pants and blue sneakers.

"We are." I say and forcefully pull my hand back and stepping further away. Kevin steps closer, but Peter stands in front of him, blocking him from me.

"Stay away from her." He says, his deep voice sending chills over my skin. 

"You don't speak for her."

"You're right." I nod like it's no big deal. "Except I recall telling you to stay away a million times, so I don't mind him speaking for me."

"You heard her." Peter says. 

"You don't scare me." Kevin looks up at Peter, trying to look intimidating, but failing badly. He pushes him on the chest, but Peter barely budges, and stares him down harder. I hold in my laughter, seeing the shocked look on Kevin's face.

I've -not creepily- watched this guy workout from my window most days, and I know those abs and arms aren't just for decoration.

I would know, I've tried to tackle him down many times, and despite my own strength, it was still very hard to do.

Kevin scoffed and left, muttering to himself. His poor ego got demolished.

Peter turns around and we just stand there for a moment, looking at each other and processing everything, taking it all in and making sense of it.

"I uhh," He stutters, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have interfered, you made it clear you don't want me around-"

"No, I really appreciate you stepping in." I give him a smile. "I uhh, was coming to talk to you actually."

"You were?" I nod shyly, blood rushing to my face.

"Uhm," I stutter, looking down and playing with the charms around my wrist before looking up into his sparkling eyes. "I wanted to apologize for yelling at you and ending our friendship so abruptly, I was overreacting and I had no right to treat you like that. I'm really sorry."

"No!" He says quickly. "You had every right to do that, I'm the one who ruined everything by betraying your trust and not taking your side. I'm the one who should be sorry...I messed up."

"I got your notes and roses." I blush and laugh a little to lighten the mood. "I forgive you, Peter."

"You do?" He looks up from the ground, looking at me hopefully, a small smile forming on his lips.

"Yeah." I nod, my own smile growing. "We were both at fault, and...I really miss you."

"Sky, you have no idea how happy I am right now." He laughs wholeheartedly, a grin brightening up his face. "I missed you so damn much! And the girls, of course..."

I blush even harder, noticing a blush on his face too.

"So..friends?" He smiles hopefully.

"On the road to best friends again." I smile back just as happily.

"I really want to hug you right now." He chuckles.

"Oh, what the hell." I laugh. "Come here."

I wrap my arms around his torso, burying my face into his chest, careful to not break my glasses, breathing in the familiar scent I missed so much. He tenses up but quickly relaxes, wrapping his own arms around me tightly, like he'd lose me again if he let go.

"But let's take this slow, okay?" I mutter. "You still need to earn my trust again."

"Anything for you, sunshine." He says into my hair and I smile as he hugs me tighter.

I think this went well.