C H A P T E R - T E N

Confrontations

V A L E R I U S '    P O V :

My family has been here for a few days. Things have gone well for the most part. Actually, this might be the best we've ever gotten along.

It's dinner time and mamma offered to make us food. I didn't deny, I honestly didn't feel like cooking today. She made a simple dish, not extravagant, we all know she isn't very good at cooking. It's also not a secret she brought in a cook to do most of the work but don't ask her or she'll deny it.

We all got our food while light conversation starts to pass around. Since Ellie is sitting with me I get her a plate too. Starting to cut her chicken into small pieces for her to eat, I hear mamma clear her throat.

I feel her eyes on me. "What?" I ask but I don't look at her. I finish cutting Ellie's food.

"Nothing." Mamma brushes my comment off, going back to her food.

Okay then.

I ignore her attitude and continue on helping Ellie. "It's just that-" She starts and I sigh, putting the utensils down with a clatter. "Don't you think you're babying her?" She says and everyone else stops their conversations to listen.

You've got to be kidding me.

"Mamma. She's five. I'm not going to let her use a knife." I respond with an eyebrow raised. My jaw begins to twitch, I'm seconds away from losing it.

Does she really think she can cut food for herself?

"I just think—"

"You can think after dinner." I stab a piece of chicken and hand the fork to Ellie.

"Thank you." Ellie says quietly and takes the fork out of my hands. She chews on the piece in silence, looking around warily, her cheeks puffed out.

"Sei la benvenuta, piccolina." You're welcome, little one. I reply back. I don't fail to notice how Ellie sounds upset. She probably senses that something is wrong. She's smart, like her papà.

I guess my brothers notice too. "Ellie!" Mar shouts in a hushed tone and Ellie looks over to him. Mar crosses his eyes and sticks his tongue out to make Ellie smile. Fabio pours water down Mar's back and he screams like a baby.

Ellie laughs softly.

• • •

"Ellie is not watching the Purge." I say while snatching the remote out of Fabio's hands. He goes to argue with me but I cut him off with a hard glare.

"I say we watch Moana." Marcello said casually and we all look at him. He pulls a pillow tighter to his chest like a child would.

"How the fu-fudge do you know what Moana
is?" Fabio asked Mar with a taunting look.

"How do you?" Mar retorts and narrows his eyes at Fabio. Fabio glares back at him.

Here comes the fighting.

"I don't." Fabio fights back and shifts in his seat. His eyes drift around nervously.

"Yes, you do."

" No I don't."

"Do."

"Don't."

"D-"

While the two idiots bicker on I go to Disney+ and put on Moana for Ellie and I guess Marcello too.. maybe even Fabio.