T H R E E

Don't Let Me Fall

V A L E R I U S '    P O V :

"Val!" Katerina shrieks. "I swear to God if you let me fall off this thing—"

"You won't fall."

She tugs harder around my waist, unbelieving. The feeling of her holding me makes something rise in my stomach.

"I so hate you right now!" She whispers in my ear, breathlessly.

"Open your eyes, bellissima."

"Fuck you."

I roll my eyes. "I've got you, Katerina. You won't fall. Just look." I think eventually she does because she gets quiet.

The wind blows through our hair, it's slightly chilled. The sun is starting to set. A pink and orange hue shines off the water. Green trees shiver with the wind. We pass by them in a flash.

I rev the engine of my motorcycle. Thriving off the feeling of the moment.

The road goes on for what seems like too short of time before we stop in front of Katerina's home. She gets off the bike with a solid huff and brushes off her clothes.

I put the kickstand down and take my helmet off of her head. Her dreamy, blue eyes give me a look so beautiful. I can't look away. I'm stuck, finding myself in her eyes.

"Was it as terrible as you thought?"

"Yes."

"Liar."

I force back my smile that wants to peak through. She's so difficult. It just makes me want her more, I figure she knows what she's doing to me.

"Fine." She huffs, the corner of her lips tipping upwards. "It was. . . alright."

"I'll take it."

"Well..," she cleared her throat. "Goodbye then."

"Goodbye, Katerina." I say quieter than before.

She turns to go but only makes it three steps before she stops in her tracks. It takes a second for her to whip back around quickly and grab my shoulders. She lifts herself up onto her toes and kisses my cheek. I grab her waist but she pulls away, looking to the floor. If I hadn't held onto her, she probably would have ran away.

My heart beats a million miles a second.

"Thank you for today." She won't let me see her blush but I catch hints of it when she looks off into the distance.

She goes to turn away again but I pull her back, lifting her chin up to me. Our lips are centimeters apart, close to closing in on each other.

I want her. I want to kiss her, fuck her, breathe her in. I want all of her.

"Stop acting like you hate me, bellissima." Her breath is on my lips. "Let me kiss you." Please.

"But then I'd let you win." She retorts breathlessly.

"Oh, darling, I've already won."