11|| Black and White

"We would make remarkable best friends

"We would make remarkable best friends."

🌀

"It was fun," stated Shriya.

The film was over and they were all heading back home. It was drizzling outside but they didn't care. It wasn't like they do be shocked from head to toe.

"Ali Fazal was best." Suhana sighed dreamily.

"You like Ali Fazal!" Shriya asked, excitedly.

"You don't know," muttered Ruhi.

"We are best friends from now!" Suhana cried, throwing her hands around Shriya and pulling her in for an enormous hug. Shriya, with a huge grin, returned her hug delightfully.

"Hello, I exist," Ruhi said, dryly.

"Oh, you don't!" answered Suhana.

"What do you mean I don't?"

"For now, you don't exist."

"The audacity."

"So, Shriya," started Suhana, completely ignoring Ruhi, "you are a fan of Ali Fazal, right?"

"A huge one," said Shriya.

"Same here."

"We would make remarkable best friends."

"We would."

"Have you watched Fukrey?" asked Suhana. And so, the two went on droning about their favourite actor.

"I told you," commented Ruhi to Aditya.

"I believe you." He nodded, looking at the two girls chatting away.

"Now," added Aditya.

"Oh! So, you don't believe your sister? How sweet..." said Ruhi, sarcastically.

"Oh no! I do but maybe... not much." He gave her a cheeky smile which she returned him with a glare.

"You are impossible." She huffed.

"I know," he said, adjusting the collars of his shirt.

She chuckled at his brother's antics. She looked at Suhana and Shriya.

Shriya is cute, thought Ruhi. But soon her eyes widened, what did she think? She relaxed again. She just thought the girl was cute. It was nothing absurd.

"Hey Ruhi!" called Suhana. "Let's have ice-cream."

"Sure," said Ruhi, walking towards the ice cream shop. Aditya followed suit.

"What flavour do you want?" Suhana asked Shriya.

"Vanilla, please," answered Shriya. "They are the best."

"You, Aditya, and Ruhi seem to have the same taste." Suhana shook his head with a smile plastered on her lips.

Shriya's eyes lit up. She looked at Aditya, giving him a shy smile which Aditya returned. Suhana raised her eyebrows at her. Shriya turned a bright shade of red as she muttered a 'shut up".

Ruhi didn't notice any of this. She was too busy peeking at the road out of the glass front of the shop.

"Here." Suhana nudged Ruhi which made her turn around. Suhana handed her best friend the ice cream. She smiled at her before digging into her ice cream. They all ate their ice cream quietly.

"I am done," said Aditya who was the last one to finish.

"Ruhi," called Shriya.

"Yes." Ruhi turned to look at her.

"Uh- you have ice cream on your lips."

Ruhi quickly tried to wipe it but failed.

"Let me."

Ruhi nodded. Shriya leaned towards her and wiped the cream off of her lips. The close proximity made Ruhi flustered. Her face turned a bright shade of red.

Shriya pulled away.

"Here." Shriya offered her a smile which quickly morphed into one of concern.

"You alright there?" she asked. "Your face is all red."

"Uh- uh- yeah, f-fine," stammered Ruhi. She pulled herself together before opening her mouth again. "It's just hot in here."

"Hot? There is a bloody AC above your head," said Suhana, dubiously. "And it's working too."

"I don't know," said Ruhi, urgently, "I am just filling hot. Let's get out of here."

"Are you alright?" asked Aditya with a tinge of worry in his voice.

"Yes, I am," she answered, curtly and, then, walked out of the store.

"Weird," Suhana muttered as she hurried to follow her best friend.

"We should go," said Shriya. She tugged on the sleeve of Aditya's shirt, tentatively. Aditya, absent-mindedly, grabbed Shriya's hand and exited the ice cream store. Shriya looked at their hand and blushed.

Suhana chased behind her friend.

"Hey, what happened in there?" asked Suhana. "Don't lie to me."

"Nothing," said Ruhi, convincingly.

"Lie."

"No."

"Yes."

"Ok yes, I am lying," admitted Ruhi, dejectedly.

"What is it?" asked Suhana.

Ruhi hesitated, looking behind her. Suhana turned around and saw the curious faces of Shriya and Aditya.

"Tell me, tomorrow," whispered Suhana. "Meet me at my house."

Ruhi nodded. She mouthed a 'thank you'.

"A friend in need is a friend indeed." Suhana patted her friend's shoulder.

"Is she alright?" asked Aditya, walking towards them.

"Why wouldn't she?" retorted Suhana.

"Didn't she just go all red?"

"It was hot in there."

"But didn't you say minutes before that the AC was working fine?"

"I changed my statement," said Suhana, jutting her chin out.

"Weird," muttered Shriya. Aditya just shook his head.

Ruhi gave her best friend a thankful smile which she returned with a thumbs up.

As they started their walk back home, SUhana whispered in her ear, "I still need to know what the hell is bothering you. Tomorrow. Don't forget."

A sour taste invaded Ruhi's mouth as she nodded in response.

A/N- Hey! I am back with a new chapter (sorry, it's short) I am tired of writing a book with only straight people. I need some diversity and I need to stop worrying about homophobics. So, here I am, adding LGBTQ characters. More are coming.