12: The End Of The High Road Is Exceptionally Rough

Y/n would be lying if she said she didn't think about her and the detective's interactions a lot.

It replays in her head and eventually she'd find herself sadden by the thought.

They were complete opposites, he was trying to arrest her and if she was to lower her guard, it would be like putting herself behind bars.

Y/n longed to see or talk to him again, she just wishes it was under better circumstances.

If she had become a woman of the law or L, a criminal.

She laughed at the thought.

If L had to be a criminal, he'd be the best one out there, she knew that but yet she wouldn't rather him any other way.

With a bottle of Hennessey in her hands that she bought an hour prior, she sighed and leaned more into her couch.

It's been so long that she felt comfort or the warmth of a person.

So long since she felt needed or important.

With negative thoughts clouding her mind she downed a huge gulp of the liquor. The liquid now reached under the tag of the bottle.

Y/n just wanted someone. It didn't even matter, it was getting lonely and part if her thought that it wasn't even worth it anymore.

The girl was absolutely tired of running.

Allowing poor judgement to take over, she picked up the phone and dialed a very familiar number.

It rang once before it was answered.

"Detective!" She beamed, not allowing him to speak first, "You waiting on my calls now? I'm flattered."

"Isn't it a couple weeks too early for our annual call?" L asked though he didn't sound like it, he was confused as to why she called.

"What? I could only call you on Christmas Eve?" Y/n huffed while taking another sip of the alcohol.

"I guess not." He said, "How are you?"

Y/n laughed and shook her head before she stood, bottle still in her hand, "I'm fantastic! I'm here, alive and" she trailed off, "Alone."

"You were right, L." Y/n mumbled, "I am lonely and it's pathetic."

"Are you drunk, Y/n?" L asked with concern though it wasn't clear.

"Of course not." Y/n remarked but stumbled on her own feet, in the process knocking down some of her plates and bottles, "Maybe just a little."

Regret coursed her body when L fell silent, like she somehow made everything awkward.

"You're not pathetic." L reassured, "You are smart, considerate considering you gave back the money that you took months ago. You make people want to be around you and somewhat," for the first Y/n heard L hesitate, "not ugly."

"And yet I'm still all alone." Y/n sighed, "But I'm glad you see me that way detective."

The words that come out the detective words next somewhat shocked the h/c haired girl.

"What do you think of me?" L asked bluntly.

"Well." She started, "I don't know. Something about you comforts me hence why I'm calling you while I'm drunk off my ass."

"I thought you were a little drunk." L said smugly, she could almost hear the small playful smile he had on his face.

"You're also a smartass." Y/n laughed, "You're kind when you want to be, dedicated which I admire you for and," she paused before smiling a bit, "You're also not ugly."

Y/n walked to her couch and accidentally tripped on her own feet again.

L, upon hearing the commotion on his end, sighed and stood from his crouching position to place a hand in his pocket.

"Y/n, go and get something to eat, drink some water and take a cold shower." L demanded, "Then I want you to go to bed."

"What are you, my father?"

"Y/n" he said quite sternly which made her blush with the way he said he name, "Now."

"Fine." She slightly groaned while putting the bottle down on her kitchen counter, "But...uh, can you stay on the line?"

The immediate silence made her panic, "Or not that's fine t-"

"I'll stay."

Those two words made her smile as she opened her fridge to get something to eat first.

As she did the things L told her too, the two stayed in a comfortable silence. There was no need to say anything.

When Y/n hopped out of the shower and changed, getting ready for bed; L just listened to her do so.

"Alright boss man." Y/n teased as she sat on her bed, phone now to her ear, "What now?"

The corner of the detective's lip twitched upwards when she spoke, he cleared his throat and snapped out of his trance, "Get some rest now."

"I will but." Y/n said as she laid back on her bed, now staring up to the ceiling, "How have you been?"

His eyebrows shot up with the concern, "I'm alright for now. And yourself?"

Y/n breathlessly laughed, "Can't complain."

"How's your fish?"

This made Y/n full on laugh. It was unbelievable how he remembered that detail from so long ago.

"He's okay, he's just chilling in his aquarium." Y/n informed, "I spoil him too much, he got fed three times today."

Y/n could have sworn she heard the detective laugh softly but as she thought she heard wrong; she just brushed it off.

"Y/n."

"Yeah, L?"

"How did you take out the money from the bank to put it in the warehouse?"

This was a burning question he had and only way he could ever get an answer was through her.

"Maybe we should both get some rest." Y/n said, changing the subject, "Goodnight, L."

With a sigh of defeat, L looked to the floor and nodded slightly, "Goodnight, Y/n. Sleep well."

This made Y/n laugh once more, "Sleep well, detective."