14: To All The Girls Who Dreamt Of A Happy Ending

Y/n was drunk off her ass again.

This time she unplugged all the phones so she wouldn't be tempted to do anything stupid.

If she could have called the detective last time, God knows what she could do again.

At her rate and state, she could have called the cops and confessed to every horrible thing she had done, that includes the candy bar she took from a kid when she was five.

The girl stumbled across her living room and flopped on her couch.

"I really need to stop living like this." Y/n mumbled to herself as she eyed the bottle of vodka she placed on the floor.

She never really knew how people could say 'money doesn't buy happiness ', she sure did now.

Y/n laid down her couch and groaned when her front door opened.

Any normal person would be alarmed, even she would be alarmed but in her state at the moment, Y/n couldn't even tell her left from her right.

In walked Detective L Lawliet with his hands in his pockets, approaching the female.

It reeked of alcohol and cigarette smoke, though there was not an astray or any items that would indicate that she was the smoker.

L couldn't help but see the mountain of opened and empty ramen packs in the bin near the kitchen.

"Detective!" Y/n lit up when her wide and dilated eyes met his slouching figure. The girl immediately scrambled off the couch and embraced him.

Her hands were tightly wrapped around his thin torso.

L eyebrows slightly raised at the gesture as he thought she'd be more...afraid? Frantic?

His pale and slender arms however made its way around her frame. As he patted her back, she looked up at him.

"You look terrible." Was all he mustered up to say which made the girl laugh.

She pried herself off and backed up, "Well, I'm spiraling downwards so it's fine."

She laughed breathlessly at herself once more, "I could have everything I wanted right now but." Y/n trailed off as she grabbed the courage to look at L, "But I know it isn't going to make me happy."

"What happened to you, Y/n?" L genuinely asked. When he first met her, she beamed confidence, owning the ground she walked on. The girl was put together and knew what she wanted, "You need to get your shit together."

There was silence, the two just stared at each other with unreadable faces when Y/n nodded slowly, "You're right."

"How did you cash out the money to put it in the warehouse?" The detective asked once again, "Just how did you?"

With a soft and teasing smile, Y/n shook her head. Y/n then perked up, "You hear that?" She said as she tapped on her ear lobe, gesturing for him to listen.

The faint sound of carolers singing 'Silent Night' sweetly was filling the tense air. L hummed in acknowledgment, he didn't really care for them or the holiday itself.

He then pulled out a pair of handcuffs and held it with a tight grip, he stared at it then at Y/n, "I think you know why I'm here."

The detective threw it on the sofa and placed his hands back into his pockets.

Y/n chuckled and stepped back more to the opposite end of the couch, farther from L.

"I'm not putting that on." She said whilst shaking her head.

L neared closer to her, stopping at a comfortable distance, "You have to put it on."

"Yeah?" Y/n scoffed with a grin, "Otherwise?"

"Otherwise, cops are going to storm in here if you're not out there in 5 minutes." L said with a straight face, but he wasn't looking at her.

He was looking at the cuffs then his dark eyes made its way to her figure.

"You know what I think?" Y/n stated with a slight scoff, " I think you're full of shit. There is no way there is cops out there on Christmas Eve."

The detective brushed his hair back with a sigh, "I'm telling you, Y/n."

The girl rounded the couch and headed towards the front door giddily, like she was a young child on Christmas awaiting to open the presents.

"Well let's go and say hello!"

Y/n turned to the door and grabbed the doorknob, she twisted it and opened it a crack before L said three words that made her stop.

"They'll kill you." L sighed once more and walked to Y/n, "Go outside and they'll kill you. The American police is backing Britain's police and you've already stolen so much from them, they're angry."

Y/n sucked in a breath as her heart pounded out of her chest.

She had no doubt that the American police would go easy on her. She had stolen millions and was going to get out of jail when she probably hit her 40s.

What she was angry at wasn't the police or L. It was herself.

For losing herself and spiraling, causing her emotions to be the reason that she was sent behind bars. At first, she was money hungry, a drive she had to obtain the assurance that she would never have to work in her life.

Some people aren't meant to deal with that type of lifestyle as sometimes it drives them crazy or to despair. What was the point of her money now if she had no use for it? Particularly, no one to spend it on.

Money can't help you once you've crossed that line into darkness and Y/n was way past it, ultimately leading her to her dismay.

Her slightly shaking hand slipped from the doorknob as she turned to L who now offered her the cuffs.

His gaze softened and he looked sorry almost, not because he pitied her; because of what he was doing.

Y/n took it from him and put it on, letting out a sigh of defeat.

Y/n didn't dare look into his dark eyes as he escorted her.

The two reached the bottom floor and L opened the door for her.

She was expecting to be met with cop cars, flashing lights, officers pointing guns at her but there was nothing but the cold breeze and the sight of nothing or no one in front of her.

Y/n scoffed when she realized.

She looked to the detective who was already looking at her, "Well played, L."