Slash

A young Capybara whines and struggles, caught in wiring and the confines of your snare. The wires cut his flesh, only making his tussle worse.

You sigh, and decide to put him out of it's misery. Whipping out your knife, you swiftly slit its throat, and let it drain.

You gut and clean the kill, which will make a nice breakfast. Add on a few berries and leaves from the jungle, and you should be set for the rest of the day.

Marching back to camp, you're surprised to see the fire going and aflame.

"When did you learn how to build a fire?" You ask, looking over to Camilo.

"Uhm.. yesterday I guess, watching you. Besides, the embers were still hot, so it wasn't too difficult." He glances over at you, taking down the hammocks.

You set up a spit and prop the Capybara meat on it, and then you wait.

"How long until it's cooked?" Camilo asks, zipping up his bag.

"I don't know, I've never cooked Capybara before."

You finished taking down camp, although there wasn't much else to do. The rest of your snares were packed away and cleaned off, so you decide to find some fruits.

"Is it done yet, Y/n?" Camilo calls from behind some trees.

"No."

"But you can't even-"

"It's been five minutes, trust me it's not done."

You carefully examine a bright orange fruit, trying to decide if it's Lulo or something else. You decide to take it back to the clearing to get Camilo's confirmation.

"Hey, is this Lulo? I can't decide if it's that or something poisonous." You hold up the fruit to him, letting him examine it. "If it's not Lulo, this plant will literally kill you in seconds."

Camilo raises the luscious fruit to his nose, giving it a whiff. Then, without warning, he takes a large bite and swallows it.

Is this b*tch stupid?

"Camilo! Oh my god, are you okay?" You force his mouth open, only to reveal an empty socket.

"Yeah I'm.. ah.. ouch that.. MMMM.. aughhh...AAAAAAAAAA" Camilo shrieks, dropping down to the ground, clutching his stomach.

"Camilo! Oh no.. no no no no NO! I'm sorry, I never should've taken you along.. just hold- are you laughing? SON OF A-"

"Ah ah ah, language." Camilo chuckles, throwing his curls back. "You never know when there could be children around."

"The only child around here is you." You punch his shoulder, getting up to check on the Capybara.

"You're just mad that I got you." Camilo laughs, doubling over onto his side.

"Shut up and eat some Capybara with your poison." You blush, throughly pissed off.
....................................................................................

The sun glared down upon you, it's fierce rays carefully cooking your skin, the juices of sweat dripping down the side of your face. Your clothes stuck to you.

You slashed away vines and tree roots in your way, refusing to talk to Camilo. Maybe he doesn't understand the seriousness of death. Or imminent danger. Or that his entire town could be wiped out by a curse your family had rained upon the Encanto.

Slash.

The bitter realization that you'd never go back to that Encanto haunts you. Life had changed. For better and for worse. As strange as it may seem, everyone was now seen as equal, as a vital part of the community, because now everyone was needed. Gays like Isabella, who would've been banished or disowned prior to the loss of the Miracle, or women, who'd only job was to get married and have children, and the families in poverty, who would never have been allowed to marry into a comfortable life, now all depend on each other, and support comes in all ways.

You hate your father.

But in his twisted attempt to save the Encanto, he changed it in ways even you couldn't have predicted.

Slash.

"Did you mean what you'd said earlier?" Camilo demands, abruptly waking you for your mindless stupor.

Slash.

"What?"

"How you never should've brought me along. When I ate the Lulo." Camilo reminds you, catching up to you in the heat.

Slash.

"I didn't mean to upset you."

Slash.

"So it's true."

Slash.

"I.. I don't know. All I know is that if you died on my watch, I would never forgive myself." You stutter, shaking your head.

Slash.

"I made you take me! Nothing that happens to me would be your fault." Camilo protests, lightly placing his hand on your shoulder.

"No! Camilo it would be my fault, okay? It's not just about our jungle adventure here."

Slash. Slash. Slash.

"No, Y/n, it wouldn't be your fault. I'm responsible for myself."

"But not you getting hurt, that's my fault. So is the Encanto falling. So is literally everything that's happened in the past eight months, because I was too weak to kill my father!" You lash out, tears spilling down your front. Your breathing becomes labored, strange, hiccup like noises erupt from your throat.

"Y/n.. no.." Camilo pulls you in for a hug, which you can't refuse.

"Y/n yes, it's my fault. All those people.. my very existence cursed the Encanto. Before I was even a child, when I was in my mothers belly. I would've killed my mom if she hadn't spoken to the deity!"

Camilo pulled your head into his chest, your tears staining his shirt. He stroked your hair, giving your forehead a kiss. "Oh.. amor.."

"I'm sorry.. I'm normally very good at suppressing these things." You whisper, laughing a little.

Laugh to cover up the pain.

"Funny thing is, I'm terrible at hiding my feelings. I'm literally an actor, and I can't fake any of the emotions you're feeling right now." Camilo whispers, rubbing your back.

"You learned to feel emotions to entertain others. I learned to not have emotions to protect myself and my family. Ugh, what am I even getting into? It doesn't matter. We need to keep moving." You push away, gripping your machete tighter and beginning to hike up the hill.

"Hey, wait."

You turn around, looking at Camilo.

"Your feelings are valid. You never have to dismiss your feelings again." Your lover gazes into your eyes, which fills with tears.

You wipe away a tear with the palm of your hand, giving a swift nod.

Slash.