Chapter 9

***

River pulled into the driveway of the small house. He turned off the car and opened the door.

The front door opened and a dark haired woman stepped onto the porch. "I didn't think I'd see you so soon." She said as she walked down the sidewalk towards the car.

River nodded at her. "Thanks for this. It happened fast. He's having trouble fighting it." He said as he rounded the car to the passenger side. Opening the door, he sighed at his brother's appearance.

"I wish I could say I was glad to see you." Jessie smiled as she looked at the younger twin. "No offense but you look like hell."

"Good. I look like I feel then." Ryan said softly as he started to unbuckle his seatbelt.

"He's been throwing up for about an hour." River reported as he helped his brother get out of the car.

Jessie reached out a hand and touched Ryan's forehead. "He's burning up. Let's get him inside."

Slowly, they made their way into the house and helped Ryan into a comfortable chair.

"Tell me what happened. Give me the short version." Jessie requested as she moved around the living room as she gathered items. She listened to their words and asked questions occasionally. "What are you feeling?" She lit a few candles and incense cones around the room before moving to sit in front of Ryan.

"Nausea. My head is pounding. Anger. It feels like I'm electric."

Jessie nodded and reached out to touch his wrist, noting his pulse was quick. "This was what....a week ago?"

"About that long, yeah. Riley started having nightmares. We thought it was her but apparently not."

"Okay, River....take a seat in the kitchen, please." She watched him leave the room and nodded as she took both of Ryan's hands. "Close your eyes and relax."

Ryan closed his eyes slowly and tried to relax.

"Set your intention." Jessie's voice was soft and soothing as she talked. "Take some slow....deep breaths......" Her fingers moved slowly down his palms.

***

River sat in the uncomfortable kitchen chair for what seemed like forever before sighing. He stood and paced the small room as he heard Jessie talking softly to his brother. Taking out his cell phone, he texted both Riley and Wyatt.

River: Jess is working with Ryan now. How's it going there?

Riley: How's he doing?

River: He was pretty bad this morning. Throwing up and weak as shit. She'll take care of him.

Wyatt: It's pretty quiet here. We're good. How are you holding up?

He looked down at his phone and erased his answer, not wanting to worry his sister. He ran his hand over his face and looked up at the ceiling as he thought about how he wanted to respond. His phone chimed softly and he looked down to see Riley's words.

Riley: Don't lie to me, River.

River: I've been better. You?

Riley: Same.

Wyatt: Keep us posted and let me know if you need me

River put his phone back into his pocket and started pacing again.