Keefe

Keefe's PoV-

"Keefe!" Sophie whisper-hissed beside me as I accidentally stepped on a twig. It cracked, echoing through the morning sunrise. We fell absolutely silent. I heard voices.

"Maybe we imagined it." A male voice spoke softly, as if anticipating an ambush. A female voice whispered, "That was too loud for it to be a dryad or a woodland animal."

"Maybe a satyr." The boy whispered back.

There was a sickening silence, my heart thumping so loudly in my chest that I was sure the two people could hear it.

"Maybe." The girl decided, and their footsteps faded into the distance. I heaved a silent sigh of relief.

"You nearly got us killed!" Sophia whisper-shouted. I grimaced. "Chill, Foster. We just need to find one kid, and then we can go."

"Quinlin said that he was an extremely powerful...something." She frowned. "He never said if he was a human or an elf or..."

"Or?" I prompted.

"Or...something entirely else." Her face was grim. I elbowed her. "Cheer up, Foster. At least you get to kick another guy's butt instead of mine..." She grinned and shoved me towards the beach.

We tiptoed across the sand, ducking into the shelter of the dunes. I inhaled the fresh sea air. A small spray of salty mist dampened my face. I sighed. "This is actually better than I—" My shirt collar got yanked down and tightened the collar around my neck. Sophie made the international 'shh' signal and pointed forward. A guy with dark raven hair with an orange t-shirt was creeping towards us, examining the footprints we had made earlier when we arrived. I gulped.

"Happen to have a plan, Foster?" Sweat beaded my face as he came closer.

She beckoned to me, backing away slowly into a small tunnel. She crawled through, and I barely fit.

"Little tight," I wheezed. "Dude, tunnel, widen yourself a little more, will you?" I wriggled my way out into a small clearing in the forest.

"That was fun." I winced at a slight scrape on my back. "Can we go now?" Foster gripped my arm and lugged me towards the beach again.

"The guy we need—Percy Jackson—he was on the beach!" Sophie whispered.

"Please don't tell me we need to capture him." I whined. She gave me a death glare and fought through the bracken as quietly as we could. The cliff hung right over where the guy was, still inspecting the prints.

"Levitate on three," She ordered. "One, two, three!" We pushed our concentration against the pull of the earth and hovered straight over him. Sophie let us down from both his sides. We crouched, and I counted to three before grabbing his shoulder.

Percy yelped in shock as Foster pinned him down with her knees. He thrashed, but his legs were immobilized.

"Wha—mmph!" His cry was muffled by Sophie, her hands across his mouth.

"Shh." She ordered him. "Don't even think about moving." As I saw his face, I realized that Sophie had gotten the right kid. He had raven-black windswept hair, and sea green eyes. His skin was a little tanner, and his jawline more visible. Other then that, he was the exact same person. His eyes sparkled mischievously, as if saying, "That all you got?" He squirmed out of her grasp and drew a pen.

Wait...a pen? "Dude," I said. "We have goblin throwing stars and daggers and you have a pen?" He glared at me and uncapped it, springing into a 3-foot bronze sword, its edge gleaming maliciously. I gulped. Obviously, he was much more experienced, and a couple years older, too.