chapter thirty-six

Chapter 36: And Then?

Hyunjin was locking up his apartment when his phone rang. He saw the caller ID was for Jeongin and immediately picked it up. 

"Innie? Do you need something?"

"Jinnie! I don't in particular.. I just wanted to talk to you about something. Where are you now?" 

"Ooookay? I'm headed down to my car right now, I just finished locking up my apartment." 

"Okay! Cool! So.."

"So..?" 

"I really wanna know what's going on with Felix!"

"I- There's nothing going on??"

"Dude, you've been staying with the boy you've been gushing about for months now in a hospital, after he protected you. Just a single penny for your thoughts, please?"

Hyunjin took a deep breath, shutting himself in his car, he could literally hear Jeongin's puppy eyes. 

"Okay, look, I'm absolutely head over heels for him and he flirts all the time, but it's definitely all jokes. I feel like.. he's that way with all of his closest friends."

"... Jin, you cannot be serious."

"Dead serious! It's always been jokes.. or at least I think they are.."

Hyunjin began driving, letting Jeongin talk for a while so he could focus on the road, but could listen still.

"Okay, I understand, but I am entirely serious when I say he only flirts like that with you! You have to see that he's not like that with any of us. Just say something and I'm sure it'll go fine."

"And what about that you-know-who that you guys talk about? He likes someone doesn't he? So why are you encouraging me when that's-"

"Hyunjin!"

Hyunjin paused, hearing his friend laugh in disbelief. 

"Hyunjin, I may be breaking so many bestie laws here, but it has to be said so you can understand."

"Okay..?"

"You are the you-know-who. You are the one he talks about all the time."

"..."

"Just- for the love of the gods, don't tell him I told you that, he might actually murder me. I just needed you to know that. There's no one else that interests him, but you."

Hyunjin was silent, pulling into the hospital parking garage and processing what Jeongin just said. Parking, he let out another sigh.

"Jeongin, please tell me you aren't joking with me."

"Why would I joke about that! I know how much he means to you, no jokes."

"Then.."

"You should tell him how you feel."

"Why is it scarier knowing he likes me?"

"It can be, especially when you can't be sure of the version of you he likes. What I can say though, everything about you is art in his mind."

"You know he's been a fan of mine since one of my first modeling gigs."

"Really?" 

"Yeah.. And now I'm his biggest fan." 

"Haha! You cheesy bastard!"

"It's true though!"

"Save it, save it. Go tell him that."