ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 20

THERE WAS UTTER SILENCE in the room, well, if you ignore the loud thumping of Klaus's heart from the rage he is feeling at the moment.

In one corner, Katherine Pierce was sitting on the kitchen floor, leaning against the wall, her coffee cup long forgotten. On the other side, Maddox was trying to remain invisible to Klaus and his rage, an array of thoughts running wild in his head.

For over a thousand years, he had been waiting for this time, plotting about it in hopes of achieving his goal. To not remain alone. To create an army for himself, something his father cannot ruin. And now, after years of preparation, he gets to know that the whole thing was planned inadequately. That the foundation of the plan was a trick. The rage and deception he felt for his deceased mother increased tenfold. She really was playing with him from her grave, and he can't for the life of him do anything about it, except break another set of tea mugs.

"Maddox, what's the probability of this theory working?" Klaus asked, after getting himself in control.

"There is no denying of logic behind it. However, as it is a complete U-turn from what we have been planning, I say, it's better to ask for a third party's advice," The warlock answered nervously.

But Klaus shook his head after a second, saying, "No. No. The more people we ask, the more diverse answers we will get. I don't want this to be any more complicated than it is now."

He paced around the apartment living room for a while, and turned towards me with narrowed eyes, "How sure are you about this theory?"

It wasn't a question I was expecting, but, I answered it nevertheless, "It's a theory, but I am pretty confident."

I knew I am standing on a thin-line, but, I didn't want to take any chances, and ruffle the delicate sensibilities of an Original Vampire. Thus, I gave him a straightforward reply. And he began pacing again.

"For suppose, if I went with your way, assuming that I will, and let the doppelganger live, only for the ritual to not work...then I will kill you," Klaus said, with a deadpanned look on his face.

I couldn't help but gape at his audacity. That was absurd.

"That's not fair," was the only thing I could answer back.

"Life is not fair," he said. "Also, I was going to kill you anyway, this will just be sooner rather than later. And let me tell you, I will enjoy every second of it."

"Come on. Its...Look, how about we make a deal? Something that would benefit both of us?" I said, clearing my head a bit for the chat. "You can kill me as you wish if this thing goes pear-shaped. But...If you come out of this on top as I said, and can create your hybrids using my method, then you let me go free."