Chapter 42 | recalling

L now able to hide his wings, it was back out to the main room with the rest of the taskforce to keep investigating. Progress had been made, everyone was pretty sure that Higuchi was the one in possession of the death note. All you needed was evide-

"See! He is kira. I did it all by myself by saying I'd go on a date with him if he told me!"

Everyone looked at Misa, holing up her phone with a recorded confession. This wasn't part of the plan, but as long as she had no memory of being Kira, the evidence was valid. You didn't expect her to act, but clearly she wanted to impress light.

"Well that sounds like a good chunk of evidence to me! We can use that right?" Matsuda asked.

L was silent, not sure what to make of this. Yes, it was evidence. But even with Misas memory loss, he didn't know if he wanted to take evidence from a suspect as valid. But... it was kind of all he had...

"Yes... I suppose so. Good job Misa..." L said, skeptical.

"See! I can be useful!" She smiled.

"Wedy, you can bug his cars can't you?" L said.

"Yes, that should be doable. I'll bug the house too"

"No-"

"No?"

"Just the cars. We can use one of the other members to lure him out as well as the broadcast planned. He's more likely to slip up while driving to the TV station to stop the broadcast" L explained.

"Alright, this plan better work. I'll prepare everything" wedy replied.

Something about this situation felt off. You watched as the taskforce examined the meeting showing on the screen, deciding who to use as a double agent. Light jumping into action and picking Namikawa, calling him under L's voice filter to get him on the taskforces side.

You were paying more attention to the energy of the room, the motives of the taskforce, the strange situation. You felt a presence behind you, keeping your voice low you spoke up.

"shouldn't you be with the book in the underworld?"

Ryuk laughed.

"It's boring down there. I wanna watch" he said.

You saw L glance behind him to see you and Ryuk quietly conversing in the corner. Not only had he touched the book, he was a deity now. He could see and hear Ryuk as well as few his energy.

"Fair enough. Hades won't be happy" you replied.

"He roasted me alright. Man isn't too happy with the situation at all"

"Neither am I, you're just entertaining that's why I tolerate you"

"Me? You pure deities and humans are the entertainment here" Ryuk said.

"Let's see, what's funnier? A deity falling for her lost human soulmate among a dangerous case. Or some punk looking death god who started a mass genocide for fun and does handstands when he doesn't get apples"

"Fair enough. I still think you guys are more entertaining though"

You watched L and Light bicker in between talking to Namikawa. The set up for the sting operation to draw Higuchi out underway. Even though L would he safe it was still a scary thought knowing anyone else could die. You really needed to talk to the other Shinigami, when you get the second book, you have to make sure to keep it away from light and all the Shinigami. Although this other Shinigami seemed more empathetic than Ryuk, maybe you could reason with it.