Chapter 51 | ruined plans

This morning when you walked downstairs you found note on the desks from the taskforce saying an emergency ICPO meeting had been called, and that that'll be back by lunch. When you checked the cameras both Light and Misa were asleep. This might be a good time to get the death note out again to read the rules over. You only knew the basics.

Soon after you'd come down, so did L.

"Good morning" you said.

"Good morning" he replied sleepily, wrapping his arms around you.

You placed a kiss on his lips, standing there in that embrace for a while.

"No ones here till lunch. We should read over the rest of the death note" you suggested.

"Good idea. I'm hungry though let's eat something first"

"You're always hungry, but yeah I'll make something"

Heading to the kitchen, you went though the pantry to look for something to make as L already started on his overly sweetened tea. You decided on some muffins, warmed up and buttered, so you got to work preparing them.

Moments like these where you were just doing day to day tasks together felt like the good old days in your past lives, it gave you a warm déjà vu. Just being a normal married couple, doing normal married couples things. Even though in this life time, you weren't married yet. It sure as hell felt like you were. All those years in pats lives together tended to result in a 'I've known you all my life even though we met a year ago' feeling.

You often found it astounding how you couldn't see L was your soulmate at the start of the case. Of course in different lives, physical features can be a bit different. And it had been thousand of years since you'd been with him last. He may vary a little from life to life, but he was always the same person. Always L Lawliet. Always that secretly sweet boy who had a hard time opening up. And always your soulmate.

Finishing up the breakfast prep, you both sat at the table. L knew how to get your tea right as you did his. And you knew just how warm he liked his muffins, as he did yours.

"When this is all over, I could really get used to just... lounging around together" you sighed.

"I can't wait until this is over. I'll take some cases here and there but god I need a break after this" he replied.

"I know, I've been around 1000s of years and I've never been more stressed or exhausted. Not when the stock market crash happened, not when I walked past Jack the Ripper, not when the wars happened, this is really making me want to give up. But, it's all for the safety of my marigold boy, so I'll do anything"

"Marigold boy? That's new"

"It's your birth flower, I'm cheesy with nicknames like that" you giggled.

"You're a love deity, I don't expect any different. Should I start calling you by your birth flower?"

"Depends on how pretty it sounds"

"If it's attached to you it'll always be pretty"

"You flirt" you smiled.

"You taught me well. What can I say? Don't flowers have a whole hidden language?" He asked.

"They do, and it's mostly about love, that's why so many love deities have a sacred flower, or just an obsession with flowers in general. They're pretty, they smell nice, and they're a fancy way to say I love you"

"Maybe I should start buying you flowers then?

"Not if I buy you some first"

Oh yeah, he definitely had a little bit of love deity in him. Excessive flirting with each other is a common trait.

"Are Light and Misa here?" L asked.

"They're asleep upstairs, as long as we lock up the book when they wake up week be fine" you replied.

You chatted for a while over breakfast, throwing flirtatious jokes at each other, laughing at running gags and just generally being lovesick idiots. You could definitely get used to a life like this. You'd take him up to the aether after this case and live out a nice life among the clouds, ambrosia trees and pure water rivers.

But alas, the perfect life would have to wait.

"Alright, lets get this bullshit over with" you said.

"For a deity you don't have very pure language" L remarked, taking his plate to the sink.

"Neither to you"

"I've only been a deity a month and a bit, you've been one since the late 1600s"

"No common folks language back then was very smart. We weren't poor, but not rich either. In the middle, so lots of fancy language rules didn't apply"

"Amusing how the only things you really remember from that life are dying and the language status"

"I'm morbid for a love deity sometimes" you replied.

You both headed out to the main room, got out the case containing the death note and unlocked it, taking the book out.

"What page were we up to?" L asked.

"I don't remember but I know we stopped at the 46th rule" you replied.

You took the book off him, flipping though the pages.

"Damnit why are there so many rules?"

"To stop people from doing dumb shit. Not that it worked because look at the situation were in..." you scoffed.

L looked over your shoulder, skimming the pages with you, trying to remember where you left off.

"I know it was something to do with Shinigami and what humans can and can't die with the death note... damn I should have written this down. Would have made things eas-"

Before you could continue, you heard a loud bang behind you followed by a thump, when you turned panic filled your body seeing L collapsed on the floor.

"L-"

You couldn't do anything, because something hard hit the back of your head and a sharp pain shot through your body. Dropping the book, you collapsed next to L, only seeing a hand grab the book from beside you as your vision blurred.

And everything went black.