14: Duty of a shield

2110:34:12

2110 hours left. 34 minutes. 12 seconds.

3 months left.

Miran reminds you of your sister so you cannot entirely hate her.

Because just like your sister, she's soft and gentle, the opposite of you. You live your life on the battlefield while she walks along a field of flowers. You risk your life everyday while she cooks and sings to animals. You carry a sword in your hand while she carries flower bouquets.

Watching Miran is like watching your sister and you start to wonder if your Lords had met your sister before you, will they still love you instead?

You don't know and you don't really want to know because looking at Miran who has such a gentle voice, you worry it may be true so you try not to think about it. But it's difficult when you have to stay with the guys every hour of the day and she never seems to leave their sides unless important meetings comes up.

You hate it.

The world is in chaos and there you are worrying about your men loving another woman. It isn't how things are supposed to go.

You are a warrior, you are meant to remain on the battlefield and protect the people you love. You are not supposed to worry about whether one likes you back or not.

It isn't right.

But you have already chosen the path and now here you are, reincarnated and trying to make things right again so that you can return to your own world.

You wonder whether you will be able to cry to your Lords, hit them on their chests because they loved someone else. You wonder if you will be given the chance to vent at them, get angry and upset and jealous. You wonder if they will hold you and reassure you over and over again that you are the only one they love and that their Earthly selves were foolish to love another, apologizing to you for ever hurting you.

Because if you fail, you will never feel their warm arms wrapped around you ever again, you won't feel their soft lips, hear their sweet words.

No one will be there to remember who you are. Not your mother, your sister. Not Poseidon nor Dionysus nor Zeus.

You will not live to create another history for yourself.

So you know more than anyone that you cannot lose to Miran no matter how sweet and kind she is. This is your story, your fate, and you will not let someone like her ruin your life.

Yet as much as you wish those words were more true than anything, you can never turn a blind eye to someone who is in need of help.

So when you stand beside Namjoon and Hoseok who is speaking to another businessman and spot Miran who looks entirely uncomfortable as a man speaks with her, you find yourself striding her way before anyone can stop you.

Because even as your two bosses has their brows furrowed, a silent reminder that you should never leave their sides, you chose to ignore it because you know how it feels to be approached by a strange man.

Like Ares.

And just as the man is about to touch the head of the clearly hesitant and uncomfortable Miran, you grab his hand, stopping it in midair before he can proceed.

"Sir, it is highly inappropriate to touch a woman who has not given you consent to do so." Miran trembles a little and you step up in front of her, shielding her body between her and the man. "I advise you to step back before I lose my calm facade."

The man only scoffs as he throws your hand off to the side for you to release him. He clearly isn't happy but you don't care one bit.

"Y-Y/N," Miran calls behind you, clear with fear but you push her back gently with assurance that you've got it handled.