Chapter 40

ARIA

Lewis puts me on the headset, and after brushing a soft kiss on my cheek, he puts his own headset on and goes to stand next to Duncan at the big desk in front of the huge TV that follows the race live. I can see that the screen is divided in the views from many cameras. One is the camera above the grid, then you have different corners of the race track, different laps, Levi's camera, Gruff's camera. A laptop also runs with the official transmission on the TV channel. I can see the five lights starting to blink, and as the signal is given, the cars start speeding down the race track. Levi starts P4, after Johnathan, Fabio and Chris. Behind him is Nik, then Mara's husband, Naomi's boyfriend, and then Gruff. I know Lewis ain't particularly happy about this formation, yet after sharing a look with the team principal, he and Duncan turn their whole attention to the Prix.

The race continues to go by smoothly, only a pit stop for Levi after Lap 23 and one for Gruff after 29. I start looking at the small laptop, since that currently shows the transmission of Fabio overtaking Johnathan and being currently in the lead. Levi is P3, Chris behind him.

I keep staring at the screen, at the two Magnus guys fighting for P6. All of a sudden, the view on the screen changes on Levi, and I can hear his engineer, Finn, say something through the team radio. While he says it, the words also appear in the small box for team radio on the live TV transmission.

"Levi, this is a short reminder you're driving."

I take a better look, now on the big screen with Levi's camera on it, and see the reason his engineer had to say that. Levi is tapping. On the wheel. Like to a song.

While some members of the pit crew start laughing, Finn, Duncan and Lewis don't seem as thrilled.

Levi keeps tapping, yet responds: "I have this song stuck in my head. I can't get it out." He starts tapping the rhythm, and mumbling the words. I recognize it, yet don't know if I should say something.

"Levi, please drive", Finn tells him.

Levi nods once, continuing to tap.

Duncan and Lewis share a concerned look, until Lewis scoffs annoyed and says: "Screw it, put him on my line."

Duncan looks at him surprised. So do I. Lewis never gets on the team radio. Never. Cause he's afraid his voice will be recognized then he'll get in the centre of attention.

"Are you sure?", I find myself asking. If I was merely there until now, everyone turns to look at me now. Presence noted.

"Someone has to make sure he wins the race", Lewis tells me, looking at me comforting. I nod and he brings the microphone closer to his mouth. Duncan nods once to give him the sign he's live: "Levi, this is Lewis. Please win this race."

The small screen on the laptop with the live transmission quickly has Lewis' transmission, and many highlights saying "Lewis Cunnan back on track".

I can hear Levi chuckle in the radio. "Will you tell me the name of the song then?", he asks.

"It's called Popular", I whisper to Lewis. "The Weekend."

My boyfriend smiles at me thankfully. "Sure, we found the name now. Get pole and I'll get you a champagne bubble bath with this song playing in the background."

Some members of the pit crew let out a laugh again. I also can't help but chuckle.

Although Levi doesn't respond anymore, I can see it on the screen he stopped tapping and started speeding up.

The team starts applauding, cheering Lewis' name. I can help but laugh. He points at me as if I solved the problem, and now they cheer for me.

I mouth a thank you to Lewis, who, when no one was paying attention, mouthes an "I love you" back.

My cheeks go redder than ASTORIA cars at that.

~

Guess what? Levi won. And while Lewis stayed to discuss something with Duncan in the garage, I went to see the podium and post-race interviews.

"So, Levi, P1 today, how do you feel?", the reporter asks him. Levi smiles at him and goes with his hand through his wet hair, after Fabio who scored P2 sprayed him with champagne.

"I feel very grateful", he begins. Someone put on his PR skills. "It has been an amazing day for the team, and we are very happy we can start the break with such a win."

The reporter nods, now probably eager to ask his real question. He does. "Now, something I believe everybody has been asking themselves: on the team radio, you were tapping a song. Which song was it?"

"Popular, The Weekend", Levi answers smirking. "I've meanwhile found out. Although I am promised a champagne bubble bath tonight", he adds with a chuckle.

The reporter also can't help but laugh once. Now for his real question: "The guy on the team radio, was that Lewis as in Lewis Cunnan?"

Levi smiles. "Yeah, that was him. My best friend came to support me. Such a gentleman."

"Do you know if he's planning to get back on the grid?"

Levi's face gets more serious. "Sorry, I don't know. You should ask him."

"Is he coming back for the next Grand Prix?"

"Don't know that either."

The reporter must have realized Levi isn't going to spill any tea, so he changes the subject. "Do you have any plans for the break, Levi?"

Levi's smile returns. "I'll be in Las Vegas with Chris and Fabio."

Wait, what?!

"Fraternising with the enemy?", the reporter asks amused.

Levi only puts his cocky grin on. "Something like that."

The interviewer keeps asking a few questions, until they say goodbye and Levi comes next to me.

"Las Vegas, huh?", I ask him on our way to the garage.

He nods. I can basically see the excitement in his eyes.

"Try not to burn the place down", I reply teasing.

Levi winks at me once. "Yes, Ma'am."

I hit him in the ribcage and wait for him to sign a few more autographs, before we can go back in the garage.