Chapter 51 - Live your life

PART 2

THREE YEARS LATER

CHAPTER 51 - LIVE YOUR LIFE

NATALIE'S POV

I'm sorry. Truly I am. But I can't stay. I love you, princess. Please, forgive me. But forget me. Live your life. You'll be better off without me. – Eric

I read the message for the thousandth time. After three years, it still hurts. Three years, yes. It's been three years since that message, that message I found where he knew I would search. The Place. I went there for answers of any kind, but found only a piece of paper with his neat calligraphy. Forgive me but forget me, he said. I can't stay, he said. Why?

After three years I still don't have an answer, nothing. Not even his brother knows. He just ... disappeared. When we girls came back to the cabin that day, there were only Kyle and Joe waiting for us at the entrance, confused and alarmed. We asked what was wrong and the first thing Kyle did was grab my hand and drag me to Eric's car, he pushed me inside and, Joe doing the same with the other girls but in his own car, drove off.

When I asked what the heck was happening and where was Eric, Kyle responded with a very simple phrase: "I have no idea. Just told me to keep you safe. Then he was gone."

I inquired to know more, but nothing. Once we got to my place, I found out my mother had already packed my things and everything was set. Principal Roberts knew, he'd abbreviate the procedures for me to get my degree, after all, hadn't I refused, a few months before, I'd have graduated in January already, being in advance with credits and everything, I already had a destination, a plane ticket and a safe place. Everything had been done at the speed of light.

Kyle took me to the airport in the town nearby, hugged me and promised he'd keep in touch, but I ought to stay out of town for more than a while. For my safety. I asked and asked and asked, but nobody told me anything.

While Kyle was driving to take me home I'd texted Eric to ask where was he, but received no response, not even when I gave him the good news: I was not pregnant, we still had our dreams intact. When I called and called and called, I kept hearing always the same automated voice telling me that the number I had dialed had been disconnected. So he got rid of his phone. Why? Why? Why?! I kept asking myself and Kyle, but he couldn't give me an answer, neither he knew.

When the plane landed I found a tall man in his late twenties outside the gate, with my name written on a white cartel. My cousin. Jake Watson. In the haze I was in, only then I realized I was in Boston, but why? What was happening? Where did Eric go?

None of my questions were ever answered. Jake only knew my mother called him that he'd barely woken up, to tell him that I was to leave our town immediately and she asked him if he could take care of me for a while. He agreed immediately, saying he'd see to be sure I was safe from anything, even if he had no idea what that was.

I was allowed to go back in town only three months later, with the excuse of seeing my friends graduate and retrieving my own diploma. I pestered Kyle with thousands of questions, but he didn't have the slightest idea. Last time he'd seen Eric, it was at the cabin three months before and he told him to keep me to safe. Nothing more than that. Same goes for my mother, she'd only received a call from Eric, who told her I had to leave town as quickly as possible, but he didn't explain why. Trusting him, she agreed. Especially when Kyle confirmed everything.

I forced myself to keep silence when I realized what a distraught look Kyle had on his face. And then it hit me: he had no idea where his brother was, Eric had gone missing since three months and nobody knew, nobody had seen him. As if he'd disappeared all of a sudden. Of course Kyle was hurt too. Eric was still his brother,despite the past.