Chapter 57 - Life goes on

any kind of comment is always very very welcome :)

CHAPTER 57 - LIFE GOES ON

FOUR YEARS LATER

NATALIE'S POV

"So how about you come over tonight?" Sam, my boss and friend, asked me as we stepped into the elevator. We were done for the day, though only because her husband called to grumble. Sam kind of silenced him with her retorting that he's a workaholic just as much as she is, but then, of course, her children injected and she couldn't say no.

It was actually already an exception that we worked on a Saturday, but the thing is, there's a big upcoming event that's been swallowing all of our energies, considering we'll be presenting our new authors and our schedule for the spring-summer season.

Since I started working for Samantha and her Dante's Friends, I've been advancing in my career quite fast, to the point that in four years I became the boss' vice. Sam and I are friends before colleagues, though. And since I arrived in New York she's welcomed me with open arms, just like my cousin, Jake's sister, Serene has.

I've had a peculiar situation in the first months, but I've received all the help necessary, even my boss gave me all the chances possible, saying that she couldn't do without me (this was something like six months after I started working, when I thought she'd get rid of me because of my peculiar situation).

It feels fulfilling, because I've contributed to the growing of Dante's Friends too, to the point that, at that same event we're hosting, Sam will announce my being her associate, so I will be in fact directing the house with her, same level, co-directors.

I said she didn't need to do that, I was just happy with the amazing career I had, considering how much I'd advanced and I was just 25, but she said I was there when everything began and it's my merit too if our house has been that successful, though I think that having such an imposing and mighty company as her husband's Grant Enterprises on our back did help much.

I mean, for her own admission, every deal she signed in the beginning, she did see that her being presented as Samantha Benedetti-Grant and not just Benedetti did give her a big push. She says she's proud and wouldn't want to owe her success to her husband and his mighty name, but, after much butting heads with Lukas himself, she came to the conclusion that accepting his help couldn't really hurt.

They were married after all, "what's mine, it's yours", he keeps repeating her, which means that yeah, also his billions are hers, and in the very impossible chance they'll ever split, he's gonna have to share half of his holdings with her, well he does that already, but as a matter of law, yes, Lukas made his wife co-owner of the Grant Enterprises as gift for their fifth anniversary, well, will be making her this summer, but I know already ... inside sources, you know.

I'll admit that it makes me smile how this Lukas, Grant I mean, is so similar to the other Lukas, the one in Boston. Though Sam's husband is a whole of a lot calmer and more posed compared to my ex neighbor. I've been keeping in touch with Tara and Lukas by the way, just as with Jake and Silvia. And after all, how couldn't I?

Even though my first months in New York were hellish and I really didn't want to see anybody, my cousin didn't want to hear reasons. Says he's seen me at my worst, that little peculiar situation wouldn't change anything. Actually, I needed their help more. Even mom moved here for a couple of months at first. Purposely. Just to help me. Because she knows how hard it is to go through such thing all alone.

It took me long to accept it, but I followed the tip. I moved on. Well, partly. I mean, I don't think of the past anymore, I don't hurt myself by re-reading messages and a specific note ... I've gone on with my life. This time for real. Though I had to, if not for me, for that someone I started coming home to after a few months.