Chapter 36

Run. We all run as fast as we can. Gale goes to as many people as he can find and tells them to come with us. I do the same and so does my mother. We go to as many houses as we can, but we can’t get everyone. We see a lot of people die around us. We can’t stop though because we have to go. Go? Go where exactly? I’m not sure but this baby isn’t making things easy. She is really heavy now, but my adrenalin is pumping enough to keep me going. I look at the crowed following us, but I don’t know where we are going. The bombs keep dropping and they don’t lighten up. In fact, they get worse.
“Gale! Where are we going!” I yell over the explosions.
To the woods!” He yells back and we direct everyone toward the woods. We run far and fast. We pass many dead bodies and people lying on the ground with many wounds. Some of the stronger men grab some of them, but the majority will bleed to death. When we get to the fence, it’s off. We have to work fast. Men lay down the wounded and everyone who can starts pushing and pulling at the fence to weaken it. It works. After only 5 minutes or so the fence comes down. We grab people on the ground and we run. I look behind me and stop.
“Where is my mother?” I scream, prepared to go back. Then I see her, carrying a blonde girl. I look closer and see I know that girl. It’s Rosemary. That’s Prim’s best friend and she seems to be unconscious.
“Hurry mom!” I yell and I turn to run again. Gale is leading everyone to the lake. The lake that I thought only my father knew about but I guess Gale did as well. We run until we get there. Everyone is catching their breaths but my mother starts working on people right away. She was able to grab a bag of emergency medical supplies from the house before things went bad. She won’t have enough to treat everyone, but she should be able to get the more severally injured people. I check around to people also because I know a few things. Gale sets himself with a bow and arrow I had hidden in a nearby tree and starts hunting for the few hundred people that did make it out alive. A few men offer to help, but then a hovercraft appears. I fear it is a Capitol one and they have come to finish killing us, but something is different about this one. It has a “13” On the side of it. 13? District 13? That district was destroyed many years ago during the dark days. Everyone stand back as it lands and a person steps out. She is about 55 years old and has short white hair. She walks over to me.
“Katniss Everdeen. You need to come with us.” She says.
“Why should I trust you?” I ask.
“Because we are now at war with the Capitol, in case you haven’t noticed.” She says bitterly.
“Is everyone coming?” I ask.
“Of course everyone is coming! You didn’t save all these people for them to die out here in the wilderness now did you?” She asks. I shake my head.
“But, we will have to make a few trips. There are certain people I need.” She says looking through the crowd.
“Anyone who has any connection with Primrose Everdeen, Rory Hawthorne, or Peeta Mellark needs to be the first ones to come.” She says. We look at the crowd as people start making their way up front. I see my mother carry Rosemary, Gale, Hazel, the kids, Greasy Sae, two kids I don’t recognize, and Delly Cartwright. I feel tears in my eyes as I realize Peeta’s family didn’t make it. His brothers, his father, even his evil mother didn’t escape. All of my in laws are now dead. I look back at this lady and she finally introduces herself.
“I’m president Coin of District 13.” She says. We follow her into the hovercraft and it takes off immediately