Chapter 15

"Don't be so sure you'll get out of here," Annika says inbetween a throaty laugh sending shivers down my spine

She's staring at the two of us like she knows all our deepest and darkest secrets. Like she can see right through our eyes. She's looking at us like she had known us more than ourselves. And that isn't a good feeling. 

I don't even know half about myself.

Thayer tenses beside me. He looks like he's about ready to throw a punch but he's keeping it together.

Looking at the state that Annika is in right now, it makes me even more sure of the fact that she really has problems. She's crazy. She's threatening us in that menacing tone of hers, the sound of her shrill laughter is beyond insane, and I just came to the fact that it's my most hated sound ever.

"No one gets out of this sanitarium," she continues now looking at her fingernails, "and even if you do, you'll never make it out alive."

She laughs again, her signature piercing laugh. Gosh I would do anything just to get out of this room. Out of Annika's sight. Out of all this craziness. 

The feeling of regret shots through me. I regret ever having to stand up from my bed in the middle of the night and being my own nosy ass looking at what must have happened. 

Being the curious one to peek out her unlocked cell door. If I haven't been so naive and nosy, I would probably still be eating lunch at the cafeteria at this moment, and maybe even talking to Mike.

Mike. I never would have thought I'd wish to see one single staff in here. But right now, I find myself willing to do everything just to see Mike's caring face.

Not like I have a crush on him, but he's the closest to definition of a kind person I've ever known.

"Keep your tongue in your pocket Annika," Thayer grunts taking hold of my arms lightly as he takes out a little card from one of the cabinet drawers.

 He faces my direction and flashes me a small smile on his lips, "We can use this to unlock the door. There's no assurance but it's worth a shot."

"Are you sure this will work out?" I suddenly turned cold feet, "can't we just like, wait until Dr. Jean let us out? I mean..."

"We don't know if she'll ever let us out," Thayer trails off, "who knows what she would do? maybe she'd also get us whipped."

"But if we act as if we'd learned our lesson, maybe she would let us out," I try to reason out, it sounds crazy I know, but I no longer want any risks, "it would be much dangerous if she ever catch us escaping. It could be worse, y'know?"

He lets down his shoulders seeming to weigh the possibilities of acting as the good patient. I look at him, pleading.

"You're going to escape, right? with me?" he asks biting his lip. I stare at his brown eyes, I consider weighing the options. If I get out of here, I would be able to live a normal life. Start a brand new one, but if I do, I would never get to know why I was locked up in here. 

You can just ask the doctors.

But I don't trust them enough.

Thayer might have noticed the hesitation crossing my features, he slumps his  shoulders down and puts the little card back on the cabinet drawer, "Fine. For now. But think about it. We will have to escape here sooner or later. If it's not now, then maybe other days. Just promise me that you'll consider it."

He takes both of my arms, looking at me intently in the eye. I nod, still not knowing what to decide. He sighs and heads back towards the chair with me following behind.

We just have to act as a normal patient. Just to get out of here. I'm still not sure about escaping. What I'm sure of is that I need to know the answers to my questions. And I need to act on it as soon as we're not hot on Dr. Jean's eyes anymore.

✂------------------------------------------    

After about an hour, Annika was already passed out on the chair. That's a good thing to have right now, silence from her. Thayer and I aren't talking to each other after our conversation earlier. 

I am tired, and I assume he is too. I'm completely aware that he's not pretty much convinced at laying low at the moment, but we have no choice I know that. 

As much as I want to get out of this room in the first place, I also don't want to get caught dead in the tracks. Because if we do, there're certain punishments that might face us.

"Are you sure this is going to work out?" Thayer asks after a few minutes. I look at him giving him a small smile as I reach for his hands, "we'll be fine. Just,..we just have to wait and lie low."

His features which are hard and tensed earlier soften. He holds onto my hands too and locked eyes with mine. It is quite weird though. I've never gotten really this much close with people.

I look at his hazel eyes, her brown hair all messed up. His jaw, his nose, his lips. I find him a little bit attractive. Wait no scratch that, I find him attractive, like really attractive not just a little bit. I got so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even hear him talking.

"Scar, are you listening?" he asks and I snap out of my trance. I couldn't believe I stared at him like that.

"Sorry, what is it?" I ask. He laughs a little and I notice a tiny carve of dimple forming on both of his cheek. And that makes him even more attractive to look at.

"I said," he trails off, "I'll tell you about why I'm here."

"Oh, okay," I answer, a bit flabbergasted but too curious anyway. He's about to open his mouth and say something when the door swings open revealing Jayson and Aubrey. Thayer and I quickly pulled away from each others hold and pretended to be still in our cuffs. 

"Oh, are we interrupting something?" Aubrey says with a teasing tone laced in her voice. I mentally rolled my eyes at the sight of her and the sound of her voice.

"Did you tried to unlock this?" Jayson asks as he is taking off my cuffs. It's obviously broken now and I'm scared he might tell Dr. Jean. 

He let out a tsk sound as he takes off Thayer's too, "You can go back to your rooms now. But if we ever find out that you two are escaping," he points at me and Thayer, "you won't like it."

I feel relieved when he didn't give much thought on our cuffs being broken and just quietly lead us out the door. Aubrey didn't say anything after that, just quietly stealing hateful glances at me  as we are making our way back to our rooms.

Thayer looks at me giving me one last glance mouthing a 'think about it' at my direction as Jayson ushers him inside his room, and then it's time for me to go back to mine. 

Jayson told me that our dinners will be served in our respective rooms and I haven't felt so happy to be in my cell. Maybe this would be my safe haven, for now. Or maybe forever.

✂------------------------------------------ 

Thank you for reading this story x  

Don't be a silent reader? ;)

Check out:
Goodbye Emiline
Lost and Found
From Me To You

Vote. Comment. Share