Chapter 38

Lydia hands both Thayer and I the backpacks

Lydia hands both Thayer and I the backpacks. It contains toiletries, two white shirt for both of us and some snacks that would somehow help us survive for a week. She also told me that she had slipped a few money on one of the little pockets of the bag.

"Ready?" Mike asks looking at both of us but lingering his gaze longer on me.

"Always." I answer with a smile as I slung the bag over my back.

"Be careful," Lydia says before we finally set foot outside the clinic. Thayer offers her a grateful smile and in just a few seconds, we're already scorching through the dark empty halls.

"Where are we gonna go once we get out of here?" I ask directing the question on either of them.

"I know a place," Thayer answers, "but I'm not sure if we'd still be able to go there after months of me being away."

"You both can stay at my place," Mike offers, "that way I can know if you two are safe."

I was about to say something when Thayer abruptly grabs me by the hand pulling me into the other direction. Mike follows both of us and he has his forefinger at the front of his lips signalling for us to keep quiet.

I held onto Mike's arm as we both peek into the hallway we just left checking for any signs of other staff.

"How long is it until we get to the exit?" Thayer asks Mike while we're still squeezing ourselves on the side of the empty hall.

"It's still far away from here," Mike answers.

I'm getting anxious and stressed out by now. What if these all fail? What if somebody catch us escaping? Does that mean that we're going to get locked up in here forever?

Mike squeezes my hand tight, he must have sensed my doubt and nervousness, "don't worry, we'll make it."

I managed to force a weak smile out of my face. He's right, we're going to make it. We need to make it.

When we're sure no one's in sight, we quietly tiptoed back to the hallway leading to the exit. All throughout the time, I'm struggling to keep my breathing steady and I can sense that Mike and Thayer are doing the exact same thing too.

We turn around a corner, leading to a much darker hallway. There are abandoned desks on the side and a chair missing its leg blocking our path. Thayer put it on the side as we continue to move along, making no sound as much as possible.

"At this century, this sanitarium sure seems like an old madhouse," Thayer remarks.

It is eerily quiet, and the sound of our own breathing are the only visible sound that I can hear. I held onto Mike's arms as we are walking because I keep stumbling because of the dark.

I look over at Thayer, and he seems to be excited with the thought of finally leaving this place, which makes me feel the same way too. I can't wait to know what's the outside of this sanitarium has to offer.