Chapter 62

"Someone's knocking

"Someone's knocking."

Thayer, Mike, and I all looked at each other and snapped our heads towards the front door as the knocking continues. It was a soft knock at first, and then a hurried one.

"I'll go get it," Thayer offered, standing up from his seat.

I looked at Mike and he shrugged, mouthing an I-don't-know in his lips. Thayer crossed the room, towards the front door. He glanced at us for a second before slowly opening the door.

The moment he opened the door, there was a loud gunfire, and the next thing we knew, Thayer's already lying on the floor, hole on his head from the gunshot. My throat got restricted and tears started to fall down my eyes.

I tried calling for his name, but I can't even open my mouth. Instead, a shriek came out of my throat and I feel trapped.

"Scarlett! Scarlett!"

I woke up to the sound of Mike's voice waking me up. When I opened my eyes, I saw Mike sitting on my side waking me up.

It was a dream, no scratch that, it was a nightmare.

"What happened?" he asked, sounding  concerned and I hug him out of pure relief that it was all just a terrible nightmare.

"It was nothing," I said, "it's just a stupid nightmare I keep on getting. Where's Thayer?"

Mike looks confused at first but then nodded, gaze landing towards the door, "he's in his room, sleeping."

I felt dizzy. I really hate these nightmares. Why can't they just leave me alone?

"Wanna talk about it?" he asked.

I shook my head, "Not really."

He nodded, but a flicker of disappointment crossed his features. He was about to get up when I hold his arm, "but can you stay here? In case those nightmares appear again."

He smiled and then sat back on the bed, "okay."

The room is dark, except for the glow of the moon reflecting on the window. It's also quiet, and the digital clock resting on the bedside table reads 12:34 midnight.

I moved on the left side of the bed to give space for Mike as I motioned for him to lie down. He smiled, ruffled my hair and then lie flat on his back.

"So Thayer," he trailed off, "are you two a thing now?"

I was taken aback by his sudden question, and I felt heat spread through my cheeks. Memories of what had happened a day ago ran through my head.

"It's not . I don't k--"

"I've seen you two," he cut me off, "yesterday, kissing. I wouldn't say that didn't hurt my feelings, but if it makes you happy then I'll go along with it."