twenty-three

"Winter Formal is This Friday! Tickets are for sale in the office, get them while you can!"

The school buzzes with excitement as the announcements were well announced. I shake my head at all the girls gushing about their dresses and dates. Of course, I wanted to go. But I didn't have a for sure date. I've hinted to August throughout the week that I did indeed want to go. Guess he didn't take a hint. It was now a week until the dance and I was dateless.

"Awe! You guys will be cute!" Thea squeals as Laney explains how her date was matching her dress. Thea surprisingly took Laney in. It's like Laney had been friends with us for ages. Laney fit right in. She even was as short as Thea and I! I watch them mindlessly as I dreamt of all things dance related.

I didn't need a date to go. I could still have just as much fun with Thea and Laney. But being the third wheel is never fun. August walks past me, heading to his locker I suppose. I pat Thea on the shoulder, she looks in the direction my eyes were lingering. She grins and nods her head towards him. I smile back and jog up to him.

"Hey." I tap his back. He turns to me with a smirk.

"Hello Blondie, Couldn't get enough of me?"

I frown "You wish." But little did he know he was absolutely correct. He just shakes his head and pops open his locker.

"I confronted my dad."

Oh. After he came to the bakery and saw the ticket, August was mad. But he wasn't as bothered by it as I had expected. He just glanced at it, nodded, kissed me on the cheek and left. I had stood there dumbfounded.

"What'd he say?" I ask while leaning against a locker. He sighs. "He tried to lie. But I told him there was no point since I had proof. He finally came clean. "Becky is one of the many side chicks my dad strung along. He apparently 'fell for her'. I call bullshit."

I laugh a little. "Well, do you think she really loves him?"

He deadpans "What do you think?" Well, I think she is just a gold digger using your dad. Even though I didn't say it aloud, my expression gave it away. August pulls me into his side and walks me to class.

***

"Well considering that you waited until the last minute, the cute dresses might be bought." Thea grumbles. I roll my eyes. It's not my fault August never asked me. So I did what any smart girl would do, plan to ask him myself. Okay, my plan was kinda risky, but you only live once.

A bell dings as we enter a little boutique. "Hello! Welcome to Lilian's, How may I help you?" A girl beams. We walk up to the counter and I let Thea explain. I glanced around the little shop. Thea was right. There weren't many dresses. None really caught my eye. I frown but still continue to be shoved into a changing room. I started with a Coral knee length dress. The chest area was be-dazzled. While at my hip, the dress flowed out. Kinda like a skater dress type of look. I glance at my reflection. The dress was pretty, but not for me. I toss it over the little door and I take the next one.

Oh god. It's green. Not the pretty emerald green. Neon green. You could wear this dress in the dark and it would light up. I throw it back faster than you could say "Gross". Thea laughs. I yell at her to find me another dress. She mutters something but she is too far for me to hear. I was stressed out of my mind planning all this. I certainly had some new found respect for guys who went all out on Proposals and things like that. It was tough. Especially when you do it last minute.

"You'll love this one Willow!" I catch the blob of blue fabric as it comes flying over the little space in the door. I step into it and pull it onto my shoulders. I look in the mirror in shock. This was the one! It clung to me like a second skin, but also flowed slightly at the bottom. Lace covered my arms nicely. It was perfect.

"I'm guessing Silence means you love it?"

I gasp. "Yes it's amazing!" I open the door to show it off. As Thea turns to face me, her mouth drops. She stares at me for a second in complete shock. I blush a little. If Thea acted that way, how was August going to react? My mind wandered to the many outcomes of my crazy idea. I paid for my dress along with a pair of strappy white heels. The dance couldn't come fast enough.

***

On Friday, I was super anxious. School was going by terribly slow. All I wanted to do was go home and get ready. I rushed while doing all of the tests, the tests the teachers wished us goodbye with. The tests I had been obsessing about. My mind immediately goes to the night when I had first seen Pat.

And the time, I had outsmarted August. Well and almost threw up all over him. I laughed silently at that. Someone shushes me. I glare at a nerdy chick in the front row. Shut up! I'm enjoying memories here!

And before I could stop myself, I thought about the other night. I hated my reply I gave August. But I was scared to admit my true feelings. I really like him. Duh as if it wasn't obvious. I hoped and prayed that he liked me the same way. I doubted it a lot. How could he like me? Out of all the girls, why little ole me?

I pushed the thoughts away and focused on my more important option. How was I going to break it to August that we were going to the dance?

***

Hey! I love that dress so much! OML! I wish I could fit into something like that without looking like a Walrus😂

How do you think August will take the news?

QOTC: Long or short dress?

(VOTE AND COMMENT!)

-Ava