Chapter Twenty One

She runs inside, still in panther form and finds Abaddon on the ground. He's got gashes like claw marks across his chest. His eyes are dead and Panthera reels back. He sniffs around and finds Connor and Candances scent. She follows it to a closet and turns the door knob with her jaws. Connor and Candance are huddled together on the floor with blood splattered on them. Connors face lights up along with Candance. Connor crawls over to Panthera and hugs her fur. Panthera lays down and Connor lays against her fur and cries. “I don't even know what happened. One second Abaddon was standing there and the next he was clawed. He was dead before he hit the ground.” Candance says low enough that Connor can't hear her. Panthera nods and Connor keeps crying. Panthera turns and gently licks the side of Connor's face. Connor smiles and sits up, wiping his tears. “He's gone Luna.” Connor says before hugging her again. She rubs her head against his and he lets out a small laugh. Panthera stands up and Connor looks at her. She bends down and puts her head under him and pulls him up. Candance looks at Connor before looking at Panthera. She nods and Panthera walks over and bends down. Connor climbs on her back and she runs out the front door. She runs through the woods and up the mountain. The whole time Connor is hugging her fur with his face against her neck, crying. She runs up the mountain and gets to a cliff. She lies down and Connor looks up. He gasps at the view and slides off. He walks to the edge and sits down, his legs dangling. Panthera walks over and lays next to him, her tail swishing over the edge. Connor starts rubbing her head and she purrs. She lays her head on his lap and he smiles and still pets her. She watches the sun set over the Cherokee mountains in the distance. The sun sets and Connors head bobs. Panthera looks up and Connor is asleep. She gently pushes against him so he's laying on the ground, away from the edge. She flips him and puts him on her back before running off. She runs back down the mountain and runs to Connors house. Candance walks outside and takes Connor in her arms. “Thank you Panthera.” Candance says. Panthera nods and sniffs the air. The scent of blood is gone so Panthera leaves. Panthera runs home to the cabin and sneaks inside. She goes straight to her room and changes into a big t-shirt and plops down in bed. She gets under the covers and instantly falls asleep.