18. Game Set Match

Baring

I wrestled with my locker, again. It was being extra temperamental, reminding me why having friends like mine wasn't such a good idea. I jangled the door, celebrating on the inside when the door finally opened with a sharp pop. I pushed the books in my hand into the locker, pulling out what I needed for the first period.

Just when I thought I was having a mildly rough morning I noticed Caspian and Henri entering the school building. They seemed to be having a worse day than anyone and the day had barely started. A chuckle passed through my lips as I watched the two make their way towards me.

Henri cradled his left hand in his right like he was holding a baby and Caspian followed behind him lugging their backpacks with a sheepish smile on his face. The two of them couldn't have looked weirder. First off Caspian never helped anyone, he just didn't have a helping bone in his body and second Henri was careful about everything. Especially his hands. He even referred to them as his most prized possession. So a lot was off with them.

Someone whistled behind me which prompted Henri and Caspian's concurrent groans. I looked over my shoulder noticing Jan and his stupid laugh. He walked over to me, shoving me with his shoulder as if I hadn't seen him already, "What do you think happened to those two?"

I looked back at the two in question and shrugged. It had to be something embarrassing because Henri looked like he was ready to bury himself underground. Unlike Henri, Caspian just looked like he didn't really mind being a slave to Henri. He looked like he was enjoying it despite the embarrassment etched on his face.

"It's Caspian's fault," I said looking past Henri.

Caspian heard me and scoffed, "You don't know that?"

Jan laughed behind me causing Caspian to shrink back. I looked at Henri and asked, " ...what's up?" I pointed at the fresh-cut just above his wrist joint.

Henri clutched his hand against his chest and mumbled, "Workshop accident."

I laughed, directing my gaze at Caspian, "And him?"

Caspian laughed, awkwardly shoving past me, "We have class Baring. Focus!"

Henri shrugged following Caspian to his locker. Jan and I remained in our spots watching the other two guys act out of character. Caspian pulled out Henri's books and packed Henri's backpack into his locker then he moved another two steps and did the same for himself.

"This is weird right?" Jan whispered behind me.

"Yes, very weird," I said loudly trying to catch Caspian and Henri's attention. Caspian flipped me off and Henri didn't bother to turn. Something had happened while I was away. Caspian wasn't nice enough to carry Henri's backpack. If forced to help he would have hung it around Henri's neck and called it a day. That stood to reason that whatever had happened was definitely Caspian's fault.

"So are we going to follow those two or..?"Jan asked from beside me.

"Go ahead, I have something to take care of," I said watching Josiah drag his feet across the corridor floor.

Jan said something I didn't hear, I waved him off watching Josiah make his way towards the lockers with his shoulders slumped and eyes trained on the white linoleum. My eyes trailed his body, getting caught on the sneakers he was wearing. I smiled to myself, noticing the small tell-tale star etched on the white rim of his shoes. Josiah was a real fan of Villain's Justice. That star proved it.

"Hey,"

"Hi," Josiah whispered, passing by without sparing me a glance.

"What's going on?" I asked, following behind him. My confusion seeped through my question.