The Love of Family, Part 1

The nerve.

Camilo had proven his point. And walked away like a king.

You hadn't. You looked like a fool.

Footsteps approached you and the little springy steps of Antonio were there in an instant. "Hello, y/n!" His voice was so happy. A furry animal rested on his shoulder. "My coati says hi too!"

You kneeled down to meet his eyes. "Hey Antonio! Say hi to your coati for me!"

Antonio whispered to the animal and it squeaked. "He says nice to meet you!"

"Oh Antonio, it's nice to meet him, too," you replied to the 5 year old who reminded you of your brothers. "Say, I should really be getting back home. I haven't had breakfast yet and I'm starving."

"It was awesome the other day! Thanks for playing tag with me and Camilo! Sometimes Mirabel plays but the rest of my family is kind of busy. He's the best big brother! Oh! I had an idea! Tia Julieta makes delicious breakfasts! You can stay and eat with us!" Antonio exclaimed excitedly. "Camilo says you're really nice! I think you're nice too!"

You smiled lovingly at him. He was just like his brother. "I wish I could, but, it's a little complicated right now, Antonio. I don't want to be a bother."

"You could never! I love new friends! And Camilo says you're really fun!" Antonio giggled and his coati leaped unto your shoulders. 

"He has? Does he, um, talk about me often?" you questioned him.

"A little! He was holed up in his room this morning saying your name over and over again," Antonio remembered. "Come! Tia is making panecillos con chocolate caliente today! It's my favorite!"

He grabbed your hand and led you downstairs. So Camilo talks about me, eh? I don't know what to think. That's kind of...sweet.

"Abuela! This is my friend y/n! Can she stay for breakfast please?" Antonio widened his eyes and smiled at his abuela. She looked at his face and then you, and nodded. 

"Of course she can, as long as she's allowed to. Any grandchild of Señora Mildred's is family. Come, come. The others are already at the table," Abuela smiled and led you to the outside dining area. Antonio followed close behind.

The sounds of a loving family embraced you like a warm hug. The sisters were talking, the couples were flirting and you wished your family was like that. A huge hole was burning in your heart as you thought of the last time your grandmother and your family had spent a night together.

"Familia, this is Y/n Alvarez, Señora Mildred's granddaughter. I'm sure some of you have met her and talked to her before, so let's give her a big Madrigal welcome to the Encanto! She arrived just a few days ago," Abuela announced as she clapped her hands. "We'll invite your family over to dinner. I have been meaning to talk to Señora Mildred for a while now."

Dolores, Camilo and you stared blankly at the floor.

"You're such a nice girl. I hope we can make you feel at home," Pepa said, as the sun shone brighter above her. Her husband Felix nodded and gave you a pat on the back.

"Thank you, Señora Pepa," you said, trying to ignore the pressing feeling of the loss of your grandmother.

"Oh please, call me Pepa," she replied to you, smiling. "Camilo's been going round the whole morning telling us how pleasant you are. It's an honor."

"Mamá!" Camilo exclaimed. "I haven't! I just said she was nice, that's all!"

"Sure, sure, mijo," Felix grinned. "Igual a tu madre."

Pepa smiled and Felix gave her a kiss.

It was then you realized that the Madrigals were more than just magical. They had a magic love that could never be broken. 

So, you decided to push your sadness aside for a second and let their contagious cheerful attitude embrace you like your grandmother's hugs.

Hey I didn't have enough time today to write more so this is just part one of this scene! Have a good day! <3