Life Skills: Trust

Someone nudged you awake. "Agent Y/n, Agent Y/n? Y/n, it's time to get up, we have to investigate."

The voice sounded like an excited little kid who couldn't wait for Christmas. You grumpily waved the person away. "Camilo, give me a second."

 You rubbed your eyes and stretched. You were still in Luisa's room, and the other girls had already fallen asleep. Isabela slept on a huge flower she had made, Luisa slept on her bed, Mirabel and Dolores had a sleeping bag, and Bruno was buried in the sand up to his face as he snored peacefully. 

You had fallen asleep and you checked your pocket watch. It was a family heirloom, and it was given to you by your mother the day you turned 13. It was gold with butterfly patterns and an emerald smack in the middle. You took it everywhere, because it was your favorite possession. And also, you were almost always late. 2:37 am. Much too early.

"Why now, Camilo? I want to sleep," You turned on your side facing the other sleeping people.

"Aww, y/n, come on! We agreed to do this now!" Camilo shook you and the remaining sleep you held so close to left your body. He looked at you. "And also, you might want to change."

"Why? I like being comfortable! I'm not putting on a dress, if that's what you want," You sat up and whispered.

"Umm, not to be a rain cloud here, but, you've been sleeping on Bruno's rats', umm, excrement for the past few hours," Camilo hid a smile underneath his cupped hand.

Disgusted, you turned around and saw he was right. It was all on the back and the left side of your ruana. It had a little on the pants, but not so much as the ruana. "Why didn't you tell me? If you knew I was sleeping on it for hours then why didn't you tell me?! Now we can't investigate! I have to go home and change," Your voice dripped with anger and you gagged at the smell. "Stupid rats."

"Hey, hey, don't blame me, or the rats, they're cute!" Camilo raised his hands up in surrender. "I just woke up and noticed, too. Come, I have some clothes you can borrow."

"That's awkward. I don't want people to thing I'm your girlfriend because I'm using your clothes," you stood up and dusted yourself off, careful to not touch the rat waste.

Camilo looked at you questioningly. "And is that a bad thing?"

You looked up and it took you a second to realize what he was referring to.  "What? Oh, it's not a bad thing. It's just that I have never had a crush or a boyfriend or anything like that, and it's a little strange for me, especially because my mom and dad are really, really, strict on dating. And I guess I'm not ready for it yet."

"Wow, ok," Camilo's eyes widened with surprise. "My mom jokes that I'm not allowed to date until college, but my dad says that love can strike at any moment, and you know you're ready when you know."

"Interesting. So if 5 year old you decided you fell in love with your kindergarten crush, then it's true love?" You started to walk out of Luisa's room without making too much noise.

"Very funny. You know what I mean," Camilo followed you as he made sure everybody was still asleep. They were, thankfully, even Dolores, who indeed was softly snoring.

"First stop: a change of clothes. The options are, Isabela's dresses, Mirabel's dresses, Dolores's dresses, Antonio's tiny outfits, Luisa's huge dresses, or my incredibly comfortable, ergonomic, and athletic ruana. You take your pick. Or just stay with the rat feces," Camilo sounded like one of those ads that got you to buy stuff.

You suddenly remembered the ruana that Camilo had given you earlier. You took your dirty one off and put the clean one on. "I'll take the ruana," you murmured in a defeated tone.

"I had a feeling," Camilo put his finger on his chin and acted as if he were in deep thought.

"Actually, I would much rather just have my blouse and pants, thank you very much. You keep the ruana. It's yours and you don't have one on right now," you felt uncomfortable.

"Correction. It's yours," Camilo smiled.

"Ugh, I hate you," you smirked. "Fine. Just this once. And I'm giving it back when we finish."

Camilo shrugged and rolled his eyes, smiling. He waved you over and then said, "Back to our mission, Agent Y/n."

Camilo took the lead and you both scurried through the halls and reached the attic door. Climbing up silently was a little hard because the steps creaked with every step both of you took. "Over here." Camilo waved you over to the attic window. He started to climb out.

"What the heck are you doing? You'll fall!" You grabbed hold of his waist so he wouldn't fall.

Camilo grinned and seemed to enjoy your anxiety. "Relax, niña. I think by now you should know that I'm someone you can trust in. Jump out the window when you're ready."

And with a quick move of his body, Camilo Madrigal jumped out of the window.

"Camilo! Camilo!" you desperately called out in the darkness. You couldn't see if he was okay. "O Dios mio! Camilo!"

"Y/n. Come on," Camilo called out from below. He had landed on a soft patch of grass. Obviously he had some parkour skills because he was dramatically posing at the bottom like a superhero.

"Aw, heck no, Camilo. You forget I'm not athletic and have no skills whatsoever," you shook your head. "I'm going to go out the front door."

"You can't! Abuela might hear! Or Dolores! I didn't want to have to do this, but----Casita!" Camilo called out to his house.

Casita, being the traitor that it was, pushed you out with the window pane and you stumbled out of the window. Trying not to scream was not an option.

With a fail swoop, you fell into the strong arms of Camilo Madrigal at the bottom. You were ok, no bones broken, not even a scratch.

"Y/n, I feel like I have known you my whole life. And as a person who has known you your whole life, you seriously need to stop doubting so much and live a little," Camilo set you down on the grass.

And then sped, running towards the mountain woods.

"You coming?!"