30

Dahlia

"I still want to go to dinner," I tell him, looking away. I want to be embarrassed. I just came from jumping like a 13 year old boy.

He smiles ever so softly. It's not smug. His finger brush my cheek. "Of course. We'll make it an old fashioned date. I'll pick you up at 8?"

I chuckle. "We live together."

He smiles kissing my neck. "Still. It's only proper."

And so that's what he does. I dress up nicely. Elegant. I don't know where he's taking me. A nice restaurant mostly. He doesn't mind spending money, he never has.

I look at the mirror. I put on my makeup carefully. Nice and neutral. He loves me, so he says.

"You have a gentleman caller," Ethan smirks from the door.

I chuckle. "What are you my father for the day?"

He shrugs. He's in a cast but seems otherwise alright. I'm glad.

"Something like that. You be home by midnight now. And you tell that young man to keep his hands to himself," he says playfully as I stand, slipping on my heels.

I take his arm and he walks me downstairs. "I'm glad you're okay," I smile. "I was worried. I hadn't seen you. I never got a chance to say thank you for protecting me that day."

Ethan rubs the back of his neck. "Ah...think nothing of it. We're practically family."

I smile. Family. That's sweet. Akira stands by the door speaking to Ichigo. He nods when he sees me giving me a bow.

"Dahlia," he looks up with a grin. "There you are my love. You take my breath away, flower."

He's in a suit. He looks delicious in a suit. And...no sword. Hm. Interesting. He offers his hand.

I take it. It's large and calloused, I suppose from the training it must have taken to master that sword as he has.

He kissed my head tenderly, his hand sliding along my waist, pulling me in.

"I chose a western restaurant. I thought you might enjoy a taste of home," he explains, opening the door to the black SUV waiting outside.

I slide in, thanking him. He shuts the door, getting in on the other side.

"The restaurant please," Akira says and we're off.

"It's not far," he informs me, his hand drifting into my lap.

• • •

We sit over the candle light dinner.

His eyes don't stray from me, not once.

"What did you do?" I ask softly.

He raised his brow. "About what?"

I blink waiting for him to get the hint. He nods after a moment, tenting his fingers.

"I had them all killed," He explains calmly. "You look amazing. Gorgeous."

I blink. Did he just say that? Did he just say that with a straight face? But he answering questions. He never answers questions. Let's see what I can get.

"What about my village?"

His brow dips ever so slightly. Oh. He doesn't like that at all. Not even a little.

"I killed them all and then burned it to the ground."

My stomach flips. Why is he telling my this? Why isn't he nervous or...why is he so calm?!

"Why?"

He smiles softly. "I did it to protect you, Dahlia. Because I love you."

Heh. I lick my lips. They set food in front of us. I've forgotten what I ordered.

"Don't look so shocked. You knew what the truth was didn't you?" He asked. Even. Calm. He starts cutting into his food systematically.

I frown. Yes. Yes I did.

"Do you hate me now?" He remarks offhandedly. "Are you afraid of me? Did you change your mind? Would you like to leave?"

It's a good question. I'm not sure. That's what I tell him.

"I don't know," I shrug.

He nods at the food. "Don't let it get cold. Ethan said you wouldn't eat. You didn't want to spoil your appetite."

"You were excited. I'm sorry." He looks up at me, his blue eyes glinting in the low light.

"I brought it up. It's my fault," I shrug, clearing my throat, cutting my steak.

"No..." he picks up his glass. "I love you, Dahlia. Really. I want to marry you. And for that to happen you need to know me. What I do. To make an informed decision."

He considers his words carefully mulling over them, saying them slowly as he settles on the right wording.

"Is that you're so reluctant to have sex?"

Akira smiles. He's uncomfortable. That's rare but when is it's always sex.

"I don't want to—" he stops. "I worship you."

My heart skips a beat. He worships me. I know that. I can see it. I see it every time he looks at me it's disconcerting.

"I will do anything for you. There is no life equal to yours and no line I wouldn't cross. Unless it would hurt you."

He swallows, setting his fork down. "I will not hurt you, Dahlia. I can't. I don't want to force you into anything —"

"I keep telling you you're not—"

"How do I know?" He insists. "How do I know you're not lying to me? How do I know you're not just afraid?"

I look away but I smile. Because...for a murderer a mass murderer he is pure.

"Do you believe I love you?"
He swallows. "Ah..."
"Do you at least believe I'm attracted to you?"

Akira clenched his jaw. He wants to change the subject. He doesn't like it does he?

"I want to feel you, Akira. Skin to skin. I need it. Don't deny me if you want me."

"Is there such a thing as not wanting you?" He growls, his hand curls around his knife. His knuckles are white.

I shift in my seat. Oh no. He's a murderer.

Do I really...care? I should. I definitely should but it's not like he goes out murdering innocent people. I've never seen him act violently unless someone acts first.

I even tested him myself so I can give in, can't I?

He closed his eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm not angry I just,"

But I know. He just wants me. So badly. My hands shake. I pick up my glass to hide it.

"That dress leaves nothing to the imagination."

"You don't need your imagination. Just your memory. You know what I look like under here."

He looks me up and down. "Yes, I do. I'm just saying your nipples are hard and I can see them."

"Are you asking to cover up?"

"Why would I want you to cover up such a wonderful sight?" He chuckles.

I smile back, bring my wine to my lips.