3

Akira

I'm surprised at myself. I guess I do have skills. With a knife it seems. In my hand though, it feels like the handle should be longer. The blade too.

Like a sword.

I sigh. Honestly...if I know trying to remember the past would be such a hassle. My speed. My strength. The way I can see without my eyes. The way I handle a knife.

I was criminal. What else would I be? Not even a soldier, they don't use swords. So then...

It makes sense. Washed up on an abandoned beach, with no clothes or ID. It's not natural. More like I was betrayed, scorned. Someone obviously wanted to shame me, not just kill me.

But I don't feel resentment. Because—well maybe because I found Dahlia. Or rather, Dahlia found me.

I don't want what you have! I want to be you!

I pause. Is that a memory? I smirk. That tracks. Envy. I sigh. I'm probably not from this area then. Someone who would want to depose me and dispose of me wouldn't do so close to where I come from.

That type of envy is immortal. The kind that makes you think that person is a god, that cannot be overthrown no matter what you do. A height you'll never reach.

I touch my chest. That seems to resonate with me. Maybe I felt that way about someone. Nonetheless, no stranger would've done this.

Someone close to me did this. Should I get revenge? Try to remember my past?

Or maybe...

I can't burden Dahila forever. And not having my eyesight is definitely not in my favor. Was I always blind? I don't think so. Because I can picture things so vividly. With no description. The images are clear and crisp.

As if I'd seen it before. And why did I not wake up completely free of any memory? I can do complex math, and know basic geography, functions, and history. Is that normal? I also retained the skills I had before.

My head starts to hurt. Will she find out, I wonder? Dahlia. If she finds out, will she be angry? Grateful? No. She won't suspect me. I'm blind, and as far as she knows the only thing I can do without her help is shower, and eat soup.

It's fine.

"I'm back, Akira!"

"Welcome back, Dahlia," I smile. Speak of devil.

That's an idiom I know. Why do I know that?

"Did you do anything interesting?" She asks. She washes her hands, and starts on dinner. She doesn't have much money, but she feeds me three meals a day.

I should tell her. I could help her.

"Nope. I've been here," I lie, "How was your day."

She says nothing for a while. I smell her, and hear her soft breaths, that how I know she's there.

"Good. Those thugs just disappeared," she states ever so calmly. "You know this is a small village."

I nod. "Yes."

"And things don't really happen that are a mystery."

She knows.

"I just wanted to protect you."

"What? What are you talking about? It's obvious those idiots bummed town."