Chapter 11 - Pilot || Part 11

It should probably be more worrisome how easy it was to obtain alcohol at the age of sixteen at the Outer Banks. Maybe it was because the island was full of tourists, or maybe the convenience store workers simply did not get paid enough to care. Whichever it was, this lack of judgment definitely worked in the Pogues favor. Within an hour, JJ had obtained a keg and organized the whole party down at the Boneyard.

The Boneyard was a safe place for all three walks of life: kooks, pogues, and tourons. Here, teens were able to intermingle outside of their normal social boundaries. The pogues, obviously being the working class, were organizing and monitoring parties along with being the chillest people there. The kooks eventually made their way towards the cheaper beer once the strong, expensive liquor they had stolen from their parents had been drunk. These were the kids that could get away with anything simply because they had money. The tourons, however, were temporary. These people were on vacation with their families, and you could point them out pretty easily.

The pogues began drinking in the early afternoon, before any other pogues or kooks found out about the party. Gradually, more and more people began to join the five friends. Clueless tourons poured down to the beach, excited to party. JJ watched as Elizabeth conversed with a touron boy who had introduced himself to her. JJ couldn't help but become intrigued with the girl-- she was a kook, which normally would piss him off, yet she seemed genuinely invested in creating some sort of relationship with each of the pogues. The boy, as well as the rest of the pogues, were starting to enjoy her company. However, Kiara was still suspicious of the girl's intentions.

"Might I add, you are insanely gorgeous," a boy said to Elizabeth. The girl thanked him, but didn't know what to say back. The boy was clearly a touron, and wasn't Elizabeth's type. However, Elizabeth chose to be friendly and compliment him back. JJ watched from a few feet away, scoffing as he heard the boy compliment her. JJ himself couldn't deny her attractiveness, and perhaps he'd be trying the same thing if he was in the tourons position. However, he would never admit this to himself as he swore her off as an enemy becoming a friend.

"Hey Lizzy," JJ began, grabbing the girl's attention from the brunette touron boy she was speaking to. "Beer Pong?"

"Excuse me for a second," Elizabeth apologized to the boy before turning towards JJ, a smirk emerging on her face. "Thank you," the girl stood up on her tiptoes and whispered to him in his ear. The boy's eyes followed her, trailing down her body as she walked past him and towards the table.

"You don't know who you're up against, Maybank!" Elizabeth and JJ grabbed the opposite ends of the table, putting it together on top of the sand. The cups were filled with the cheapest beer, and two pairs of ping pong balls were tossed to Elizabeth.

"Whatever you say," JJ smirked. "Gorgeous." The girl threw her ping pong ball at the boy, hitting him in the chest. JJ looked up at her, pretending to act offended and hurt by her gesture.

"What does the winner get?" JJ asked, eyebrows raised.

"Whatever they want," Elizabeth smirked, watching as JJ scratched the back of his neck.

"Anything?" JJ asked, a devilish smirk widening on his face. The boy raised his eyebrows and watched as the girl in front of him facepalmed at his suggestion.

"You don't need to worry, JJ. You won't win," said Elizabeth, a smile playing on her lips.

"Oh really?" JJ asked her, rolling a ball down to her side of the table and not taking his eyes off of her.

"Really," Elizabeth stated. So the two began taking turns throwing ping pong balls into each other's cups, drinking the beer from the captured cups. After multiple drinks, misses, and close calls, both JJ and Elizabeth had one cup remaining. By this time, the pogues had circled around the table, watching intensely as JJ missed his throw.