Chapter 42 - The Bonfire || Part 1

"He deserved it, right?" JJ asked as they all sat around on the dock. Sarah had left to be with their family, leaving John B's mind to wander.

"Are you joking? Of course, he deserved it," Kiara mumbled back.

Pope deadpanned, "Never seen anyone blow themselves up like that."

"Cross that one off the bucket list," JJ said as he held a fishing rod. Kiara yelled at him, reprimanding the boy who just shook his head. "Sucks for Sarah."

JJ looked over at the girl next to him, who was sat by his feet with her legs dangling off the dock above the water. He reeled his fishing line back in, placing it on the ground as he sat next to her. "You alright?"

"I'm just worried for Sarah. Rafe would never touch Wheezie, I'm sure of it. But Sarah? He's already tried to hurt her," Elizabeth explained.

"Everyone's going to be watching over Rafe, alright Liz? He's going to have every cop watching over his every move. Sarah will be alright," JJ attempted to console her.

"God, Rafe is such a bitch," Elizabeth sighed, placing her head on JJ's shoulder and nuzzling into him.

The boy let out a light chuckle as he placed his arm around her waist, pulling her closer. "Yeah, yeah he definitely is."

"Hey, isn't that bonfire coming up?" Elizabeth looked up towards JJ.

"Bonfire?" JJ narrowed his eyes down at her.

Kiara rolled her eyes at the boy, overhearing their conversation. "JJ doesn't remember the annual bonfire because he has blacked out almost every year during it."

"Nice," Lizzy mumbled.

JJ grinned, "Yeah, yeah. Now I know why I don't remember it."

"We can black out together this year," Elizabeth began. "God knows I'll be wishing I was blackout the next time I see Topper."

"Speaking of, have you heard from--" JJ began, his words drifting off as he noticed the frown appearing on Elizabeth's face.

"Steven?" She asked and he nodded back. "No, I haven't. It's a good thing."

JJ stood to his feet, realizing that he had made her uncomfortable. In an attempt to change the subject, he spoke up. "Yanno what we need? Beers."

Elizabeth smirked at the boy, "Yanno who has some in the boat house? Topper!"

Kiara shook her head at them, "No way, Liz. No more interactions with your brother."

"C'mon, guys. It's not like he can't just go buy more. He won't even notice," she explained further. JJ thought about it briefly before nodding. Elizabeth rummaged through her pockets before holding up her boat keys and jingling them.

"Well, I vote no," said Kiara. Everyone turned to look at John B, who was laying on his stomach on the boat.

"What?" He asked out loud. "I say we take whatever we can from that asshole."

"You're joking," Kiara began.

"C'mon, Kie. There has to be like two packs in the fridge over there. Me and JJ will sneak over and grab them."

"It's a simple recon mission, really," JJ stated.

"And what if you get caught?" Kiara asked.

Elizabeth looked at JJ and shrugged, "We'll find out if we get there. Let's go, Maybank."

The boy gave Kiara a glance before turning around and waving with his back turned to his friends. "Sorry Kie, duty calls!"

Elizabeth jumped onto the boat, JJ following close behind her. "Are we even going to fit in the boat house? I mean, what if the Malibu is there?"