Chapter 28 - The Phantom || Part 1

Elizabeth couldn't sleep at all that night. Between John B's escape potentially being ruined and her moment with JJ, the girl had stayed up all night wracking her head for answers that she didn't have. Elizabeth had kept her distance from JJ, trying to focus on the task at hand and not her want for a relationship.

Both Lizzy and JJ had known that they were both awake, but neither of them spoke a word to each other. Their friend was missing and the situation was bigger than the two of them— they would have to wait.

Pope was the next one to wake up. Elizabeth followed him to where JJ was leaning against the wall and staring out the windows. "He's pinched for sure, man."

"No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him," Pope explained.

"John B is smart, he'll figure something out," Elizabeth spoke up. JJ turned, not having noticed her presence as she stood behind him and out of view.

"Let's hope," JJ spoke.

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too," Kiara spoke up.

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B," Pope stated, walking over to the keys.

"So, find him before they do?" JJ asked. Pope nodded as he began to walk towards the door, going to grab gas for the boat.

"Hey, you be careful," Kiara warned.

"Not this again," Elizabeth mumbled, laying her head on her hands as she sat down.

"Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late," Pope instructed, barging through the doors and walking towards the bike. Kiara followed behind, clearly upset with his cool tone and antics. JJ and Elizabeth followed far behind, watching from the deck as Kiara attempted to talk to Pope. Pope, however, wanted no part of it as he revved the engine of the bike over her voice, soon driving off and leaving her behind.

Suddenly, the sound of a helicopter from above attracted the attention of the three remaining pogues. They all looked up, watching as it passed by. "Who the hell is that?" JJ asked.

"Oh fuck," Elizabeth sighed loudly. JJ looked at her, looking for her to explain her sudden outburst. "They're bringing in specialists. They're bringing in the feds." All they could do was stare as the helicopter flew by.

Kiara walked up to the deck, grabbing Elizabeth's wrists and pulling her inside. "What the hell is going on between you and Pope?"

Kiara sighed, pacing around the room. "Lizzy, he—" Kiara looked around the room before leaning in towards Elizabeth to whisper in her ear. "He told me he was in love with me."

"No way." Elizabeth's mouth hung agape as she heard the news. "Are you sure he wasn't just stoned out of his mind?"

"Judging by his reaction today he meant it. I think I actually hurt his feelings," Kiara continued.

"He'll get over it, Kiara. I mean, we all do— right?" Elizabeth stated.

"I know. I hate to admit it but I miss the old Pope. At least I knew what to expect from him," Kiara explained.

"I get it. He's been so stressed lately I feel like he hasn't had time to just take a step back and breathe," Elizabeth stated. "Just give him time, he just needs to deal with this himself and then he'll be back to old Pope in no time."

"Maybe you're right. Maybe I should distance myself, make things less personal," Kiara thought out. Elizabeth nodded, agreeing with the girl. The conversation died down as the two girls sat in silence listening to the waves crashing on the nearby shore.