Chapter 43 - The Bonfire || Part 2

"Get up! JJ!" Elizabeth heard the voice of Pope close to her. She groaned as she attempted to ignore the boy's calls for them to wake up, the sun shining brightly in her eyes as she opened them for a brief moment before shutting them again. "Is he alive? Lizzy? You good?"

Elizabeth looked at John B, who had just woken up himself. "I don't know."

"JJ. Get your shoes," Pope instructed, much like a parent does to their small children.

"God, Pope. Your voice first thing in the morning is brutal," Elizabeth groaned as she sat up. "Holy shit I think I'm still drunk."

"Yeah, yeah," Pope stated, pretty much ignoring what she had to say. He reached over to the table, grabbing two waters and dropping them in Elizabeth's lap. "Here you go, sunshine."

Pope pulled JJ to his feet and pushed him towards the door. "I'm starving. I need some pizza," he said, reaching for the table. Pope grabbed his arm, pulling him away from the box.

"No, you missed breakfast," Pope stated.

"C'mon, Lizzy. School awaits," John B held out his hand, pulling the girl to her feet whether she wanted to be up or not.

"You suck, JB," she groaned, grabbing two slices of pizza: one for her, one for JJ.

"You guys reek of alcohol," Pope stated, looking disgustedly towards them.

Elizabeth shrugged as she took a bite of her pizza, passing the other slice to JJ. "You're the best girlfriend ever!" He said before demolishing his pizza in a few bites.

"I know," She responded.

On the ride to school, John B had laid himself in the backseat, JJ asleep on the opposite window. Elizabeth chuckled as she sat in between them with Pope in the driver's seat.

When Pope slammed on the breaks to park, JJ flew forward into the back of the passenger seat. Barely awake, Pope dragged his friends into the classroom right as the bell rang.

"Glad you could join us," the teacher said to John B.

"It's good to be back," he responded.

The teacher laughed, "Just in time for your first quiz."

John B stared at his friend with worry in his eyes, "A test?"

"I told you we had a test," Pope stated. "The first thing I said to you--" The teacher shushed them, causing them to all stop talking and stare down at their papers. They probably should have studied last night instead of drinking, but the past was the past. All they could do was hope that the test was multiple choice-- it wasn't.

"Well, that was brutal," JJ said as soon as they stepped out of the classroom. "I didn't even name a single shape. What's a proof?"

"Good question. Apparently, they didn't teach me that while I was in jail," John B responded.

Elizabeth sighed, "I can help you guys with that later."

John B sighed, "There's something else you can help me with." He gave her a look as he handed over a piece of paper. 'Bonfire. C U there?' was written on the inside.

"Is this from Sarah?" Elizabeth asked.

"No," John B responded. "It's from Cara. The girl who sits next to me."

"Okay? Too bad. You're with Sarah," Elizabeth stated.

John B sighed, "I'm not--"

"I know, I know," Elizabeth sighed.

"Gimme that," JJ said, snatching the note from his girlfriend's hands. "Bonfire? We're going."

"Mr. Heyward, Mr. Routledge, Mr. Maybank, Ms. Thornton. Just the men and women I wanted to see," A voice rang from nearby the classroom they were about to enter, stopping them in their tracks. It was Mr. Sunn.