Chapter 3 - Pilot || Part 3

The partygoers began to disperse as the cops entered the party and began attempting to ID anyone that was relatively close to alcohol. Rafe watched as Elizabeth and JJ ran off together before turning away and grabbing the liquor, rushing to catch up with his friends.

JJ and Elizabeth ran in a random direction, one that was familiar to Elizabeth. Once they were certain that there were no cops following them, the two began to slow down and walk, catching their breath.

"So where are we going?" JJ asked the girl who smirked back at him.

"My house," the girl stated nonchalantly. "It's close enough."

"Really?" JJ asked as he smirked towards the girl causing her to scoff.

"JJ, I'm not going to fuck you if that's what you're thinking," the girl eyed him. "Save that for your dreams, blondie."

JJ rolled his eyes, "Shut up."

"Y'know, if you hate my company so much you could always just go home," Elizabeth stated.

JJ looked over to her, "You think so lowly of me, Lizzy. And no, I'm not letting you walk home drunk and alone. Kiara would kill me."

"What a perfect gentleman," Elizabeth stated, rolling her eyes at him. "So what the hell just happened, anyway?"

"Kooks versus pogues, Liz. It's real, whether you like it or not," JJ explained to the girl. She took a deep breath, not completely believing that their argument was based on their socioeconomic status alone. However, Elizabeth knew that Rafe and Topper alike also bought into the madness, so it could have motivated them as well. The girl decided to put it behind her, not wanting to set JJ off.

The two shared a semi-awkward moment of silence as they walked towards figure eight. "How good are you at climbing up trees?" The girl asked as soon as her house came into sight.

JJ gave her a concerned look, "Why are you asking me this?"

"Because judging by the car in the driveway, my mom is home. Do you really want to explain to my mother what's going on right now?" Elizabeth asked him. The boy shook his head rapidly. "That's what I thought. The tree is the best way-- y'know, as long as you don't fall."

"Reassuring," JJ mumbled back. "I'll be sure to catch your drunk ass when you inevitably fall."

"Don't even think about putting your hands anywhere near my ass," she responded.

The two of them went around the back of the house, being careful to duck under any windows that had a light shining through them. Eventually, the two stood under the large tree which led up to Elizabeth's room.

"You ready?" She asked him as he shook his head 'no.' The girl laughed as she lifted her foot onto one of the roots of the tree, holding herself up with her arms as she climbed up the thick branches. The boy followed closely behind her, not wanting either of them to fall.

"What?" Elizabeth stepped up towards another branch, the window becoming closer and closer. The girl smirked down at the boy, continuing their banter that had been occurring throughout the night. "Not as strong as you look?"

The boy lunged up another branch and sighed, "You checkin' me out, Thornton?" The girl didn't answer, thankful for the darkness that hid the blush emerging on her face. The girl finally reached her window and leaned over to push it upwards slow enough to deafen the squeaky noise it made. She practically threw herself through the window, causing JJ to start laughing out loud. The girl rushed over to her door, locking it and then ran back to him, shushing him as she laughed along.

"Dude, you literally propelled yourself through here," JJ laughed quietly as he pictured it over again in his head. JJ held onto the last branch before pushing his body forward and grabbing onto the inside of the window.