Ashes

This is more of a short story than a poem but hope you enjoy <3

***

She looks at the ashy ground around her; a room that's filled with ashes from a fire that once burned.

It burned everything, all of her prized possessions and favorite things.

She walks through it, remembering all that was once there. Her feet soon become a resting place for the black and dusty soot.

The corners of her eyes well up with tears. She starts to cry silently to herself.

"Why. Why did it have to end like this?" She whispers to the ashes.

The fire was unexpected, a single flame from a lighter wasn't supposed to make everything burn. She only wanted to burn a candle she was gifted for her birthday.

Because of that single flame everything is gone. Everything that made her who she was. What is she to do now?

This room is huge, seems like it goes on forever. Nether the less, she keeps walking.

Eventually she finds a window and looks through it. She sees a gathering of people wearing black but the faces are blurred. She can't tell who they are or why she sees them.

There are people looking inside a large box, only half is opened. Flowers are put inside with cards and pictures.

After a while they close it and carry it outside to a place with many stones in rows.

They get to one with a giant hole, seemingly deep. Then they slowly put the box inside.

Suddenly, the window disappears. Everything goes black. She feels her body slowly disaping.

Now she's gone. She feels and sees nothing. Her soul was the last flame to die out.