21 | ≠ share

"I have a dentist appointment," Mia says as soon as I return home from my lectures

"When?" I ask, keeping my bag on the sofa and walking over to grab some water from the fridge. I turn around and notice her nervous expression, making me narrow my eyes at her.

"M?" I prod.

"Well, it's during my shift. I've taken a leave today."

I frown, "Then how will I be able to accompany you?"

She shrugs, "You won't."

I walk over to her and lean behind the sofa, making her turn in her seat and look at me.

"But, what about supporting your scared ass? What about moral support?"

Mia does not like dentists, even though she had braces when she was young. Anyone would think the dentist's clinic would be like a second home to her, having to visit every few weeks. Quite honestly, she was completely fine with dentists. Never terrified, the perfect patient. But one wrong and horribly painful removal of a tooth later, her fear of dentists began and has never vanished.

"Oh I'll handle that," she rolls her eyes, turning and facing me properly, "But are you getting where I'm heading with this?"

"Mia, where are you heading with this?" I ask her, genuinely confused as to why she's acting like this.

She sighs and replies, "Shaye is also out of town. She's visiting colleges."

Then it hits me. I snap my head to Mia as she quickly averts her gaze, "Please don't tell me you're leaving me alone with Mrs Devil reincarnate."

"I'm so sorry, I tried to shift the appointment to a different day!" she tries to reason as I groan and drop my head into my hands. I turn my head in my hands and glare at her, making her grin at me sheepishly.

"I've called for reinforcements though," she comments off-handedly. I narrow my eyes at her and give her a nod to continue, "Eli is coming with me and Nathan is going to fill in for me."

"Wait what?" I sit up straighter and ignore the smirk on her face, "Pretty sure Nathan has work to do. We've been crazy busy for the past two weeks."

"One of the main reasons why I decided to tell him a few days ago. He completed his work early and today, he's yours for the entire day."

A smile takes over my face automatically and she laughs, making me smile wider, "You do know you're the best, right?"

She flips her hair off her shoulder and says dramatically, "You might've mentioned it once or twice."

I laugh and pull her into a side hug. She hugs me even tighter and I whisper in her ear the sentence I've been saying to her ever since she developed her very rational fear of dentists, "The dentist is not going to kill you."