25 | ≠ mend

When Elliot leaves the cafe, for a while none of us talk

When Elliot leaves the cafe, for a while none of us talk. There's pin-drop silence from us, only the overhead music playing softly. We all look at each other with blank looks on our face, trying to comprehend everything.

And that is when Maverick starts laughing.

He only chuckles at first, and that chuckling turns into full-blown laughter, where he's bending down, clutching his stomach and roaring with laughter. Madhura joins him, shaking his head at her best friend and laughing regardless. And soon we're all laughing, feeling like a weight has been lifted off our shoulders. I look around everyone, the smile on my face showing no signs of leaving. I could only wish that Aliana was here, that I would be able to see the happiness on her face after everything that happened. She'll be happy when she comes to know, and I hope I'll be the first person she calls.

"Dude, that was ama-" Eli starts, just as my phone rings. I fetch it out of my pocket while the rest of the gang continues talking about what just happened. Ali's name is flashing on my phone, and the smile on my face widens as I pick up.

Speak of the Grasshopper.

"Grasshopper-" I sing her nickname, the giddy mood of mine seeping into my voice when she cuts me off immediately.

"You told Mia?" she asks her voice tight. My smile falls a bit, but without thinking too much about it, I answer her.

"Told her what?"

"About Elliot. You told her?" she asks faster now as if she's struggling to get it all out. I can hear her pacing in her room back at her parent's, where she is for the weekend.

"Yes, I did. What happened?" I can't help but get worried now. This was clearly not the reaction I expected.

I hear her take a shuddering breath and say in a shaky voice, "Who told you to tell her?"

I feel my heartbeat fasten and I quickly walk out of the cafe, "What is happening, Ali?"

"Why did you fucking tell her?" her tone is panicked now like she doesn't know how to cope with this, "Whose idea was the thread?"

"Aliana, babe, why are you panicking? What is going on? I'm really confused, we just wanted to teach him a lesson."

"Did I tell you to? Did I tell you that I needed help? Nathan, I know you had no foul intentions but couldn't you all tell me one time before doing such bullshit?"

I stop walking around and my jaw drops open, "Babe, we just wanted to help."

"I'm not a damsel in distress Nathan," she almost shouts, her voice dripping with frustration, "I can handle my shit."

"Ali-"

"Leave it, Nathan," she says and hangs up, not letting me get a word in. I stare at my phone for a few seconds after she hangs up, confusion completely clouding my senses. Never in my wildest dream did I expect such a drastic reaction from her. We had expected her to be happy, really fucking happy.