4 | ≠ strangers

When I reach the address Nathan has oh so graciously provided me with, I see a house decorated with party balloons and strings

When I reach the address Nathan has oh so graciously provided me with, I see a house decorated with party balloons and strings. Someone is having a birthday party here which Nathan has decided to ditch. Poor someone, I think, killing my engine and grabbing the box kept next to me. I had taken a little extra effort to make my handwriting look presentable as Shaye does the writing work in the cafe. The box looks pretty enough and the receiver would have to work with it.

I walk up the porch and ring the bell. Almost immediately I hear someone walk towards the door and the door opens. Standing at the door is a beautiful lady dressed in a stunning black gown, staring at me with mild curiosity. 

"Hello, darling. Can I help you?" she asks kindly.

"Uh yes, ma'am. I was told to deliver this here and say Happy Birthday," I extend my hand which holds the box of chocolate cupcakes. 

She looks at me with surprise written over her face and down at the box which I am still holding. She takes it from me and asks me, "Who is it from dear? Do you know?"

"Nathan Wright. You might know him," I answer and suddenly her face relaxes as she puts the pieces together.

"Yes, I do know him. A mother has to know her son. It is also convenient that it is my birthday today when he decided he could ditch," she smiles at me.

"Oh! Hello, Mrs Wright! Happy Birthday! I hope you're having a wonderful day," I wish as I feel the weirdness of the situation settle in me. Here I am, standing in front of Nathan Wright's mother, on his porch wishing his mother happy birthday. This seems a little bizarre.

"Oh I am!", laughs Mrs Wright, "and you can call me Debbie."

"Aliana Palmer. Nice to meet you!" I extend my hand. She laughs again and pulls me into a hug.

"Would you like to come in? The party is in full swing and plus I'm sure everyone would like to know Nathan's friend," she offers. Her eyes hold the same mischievous look I've seen in Ma's eyes over a hundred times.

"Oh, I'm not his friend. I just work at The Bakery and I really don't want to impose. You have a wonderful day, Debbie. I should get going," I quickly say, not wanting to be a burden to them, "I'll see you later!"

"Oh, nonsense. Because of my son's not-so-nice behaviour, you had to drive all the way here from work after your shift and ruin your night. The least I can do is make it up for you. Come on in."

My eyebrows raise on their own record after hearing Nathan's mom's blunt words. She walks into her house with the door wide open, leaving no room for an argument from my side. I look at my car and back to the open main door before wordlessly following her into their house. I can hear loud laughter coming from the living room and the kitchen, and I assume that his entire family and friends are here.

How did I end up in this situation?

When I enter the living room after Debbie, everyone's eyes turn to look at me, everyone pausing their conversation. I can tell that they're wondering who I am. As if sensing my awkwardness, his mom quickly speaks up.