11 | ≠ sad

Life is full of unexpected incidents

Life is full of unexpected incidents. Sometimes, when you're worrying about something, it goes right the way you want it to, but on the other hand, something completely unexpected goes wrong, making you think you probably should've worried about the other thing instead. Its a never-ending cycle.

So when I see Mia, who is with me at the register today handling Shaye's job, glaring at Nathan and Eli's table, I start thinking that maybe I was worried about the wrong thing the entire day.

I elbow her side and whisper, "Care to tell me why you're shooting daggers at their table?"

Without taking her eyes off their table, she replies in the same hushed tone, "What is he doing here?"

"You called him here, remember? Come on Mia, I know you have the memory of a goldfish, but I didn't expect you to just forget."

She rolls her eyes and finally looks at me, "Not Wright, you fool. Eli Adams. What's he doing here?"

"Ah! Nathan told me he was bringing Eli along for extra support. They're best friends," I answer. "Why? How do you know Eli?"

She turns her neck to look at me so fast that I hear a small crack. "Woah, Mia. You don't have to break your neck over it."

"I just do," she says, replying to my earlier question and walks away. At the same time, I see Nathan and Eli turn their heads and look at me. I wave to both of them and glance at the clock. 5 minutes for our lunch break.

10 minutes later, we're all sitting at the table when I notice something else. While Mia is busy glaring at Eli, he is busy smirking at her, seemingly enjoying her anger.

"Well, I would introduce you two, but I guess you don't need that," I start talking, glancing at both Mia and Eli. This causes the two of them to snap out of their weird trance and look at me. Beside Eli, Nathan is smirking at me with an amused look at the situation with both our best friends.

Clearing her throat, Mia sits up straight and looks straight at Nathan.

"Hi. I'm Mia. Ali's oldest and bestest friend. I would say nice to meet you, but I know everything about the birthday night cupcake fiasco, so you're still walking on a tightrope here."

Nathan flinches slightly whereas Eli lets out a booming laugh. Mia turns to glare at him and he winks at her.

"Alright alright, I deserved that," he says, throwing his hands up in surrender. I spot from the corner of my eye that Mia is trying to communicate something with me. I look at her and raise my right eyebrow. She glances at the washroom and back to me and raises her own eyebrow. I get her message loud and clear.

Get out of here for 5 minutes.

I clear my throat and push my chair back, "Excuse me, I'm gonna visit the ladies room." As I stand up and take a step out, Mia kicks my ankle from under the table. I let out a small yelp and glare at her, but she just slightly widens her eyes and looks at Eli and back at me.