*17*

He doesn't answer, in fact it looks like he's frozen

He doesn't answer, in fact it looks like he's frozen. I get closer to him and he looks bad, haunted. Eyes wild, hair sticking up, like he ran his hands through them a lot. His lower lip is split because he bites them so hard. "What's wro-, " but I can't finish my question. He hides his face in his hands and crumples to the floor, getting into a fetus position. 

Dropping down on my knees next to him I hear him mumbling. It sounds like three words over and over. Leaning closer to his face the words finally make sense, but then they don't. My anxiety rises, what did he get himself into?

"She killed them." Over and over. I don't understand what's happening and he seems unresponsive. I keep calling his name but he doesn't react. Shaking him doesn't do it either. And he's very stubborn when I try to pry his hands from his face. 

I don't want to do this but I think pain is the only thing that will get him out of this vibe he's in. But how to do it? Do I punch him? But he's protecting his face. The stomach? No, that might bruise. And then I know, at least I hope this works. Grabbing his hair at the back of his head I pull. 

He yelps in pain and his eyes settle on mine as he lowers his hands. "Sorry I had to do that. But you didn't answer me. Now tell me what's wrong?"

His eyes are dull looking, dead like he saw the end of the world and is powerless to stop it. "Let's go to the living room," but he shakes his head. 

"Not the living room. I don't feel safe there." And he sits up. He stares off into space, regarding him I don't get a hint of what exactly is wrong. Sighing I stand up, "then let's go to where you do feel safe." 

He nods and stands up, turns around and walks away. I suspect he will go to his room, but he surprises me as he walks to mine. When I enter he sits on the bed, his head hanging down. Sitting down next to him I feel him tense up. 

"Do you feel better now?" Placing my hand on his arm. He nods and moves his arm and then he sits farther away from me. It stings, but I don't show it. With my hands limply in my lap, I look at him and wait. I can wait the whole night if I must. 

After almost twenty minutes he sighs deep and long, rubs his face and finally looks at me. "You're not letting this go are you?" 

Shaking my head, "nope. I need to know what it means. You do know you were mumbling right?" He pales and swallows repeatedly. After 3 more minutes of an internal debate I can only guess at, he tells me about his childhood. A happy one, and he spent a lot of time with his grandparents. And talking about them he cries softly, a steady flow of tears. He must love them very much. "She kidnapped them. And threatens to kill them if I don't do what she wants. Or if I tell anyone. Especially you." And he falls silent. 

"And your parents? Wouldn't they notice your grandparents missing?" But he looks at me and the expression tells me she has an answer for that. "She has my grandparents call my parents every week. So they think everything is fine."