nick - reassurance

CW: anxiety

You were sat in class next to nick, who you'd had a crush on ever since you were put next to eachother at the start of the year.

Today brought one of your worst fears to reality. You absolutely hated class presentations, they're so nerve wracking, and you were minutes away from giving the speech your class had been assigned to prepare.

It wasn't long until your turn, there were only four people left ahead of you. You were terrified, to say the least.

There you sat, hands shaking and becoming all clamy, leg bouncing under the desk and it was becoming harder to breathe by the second.

"Y/n? You okay?" Nick asked, trying to get your attention since you had zoned out.

You turned to him, slightly dazed and nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine."

He raised an eyebrow at you, not convinced. It didn't take him long to notice you shaking, and he placed his hand over yours, in hopes of calming you down slightly.

You managed to smile at him, gratefully.

"Miss? Is it okay if I go and grab something from my locker? I need it for my presentation." Nick asked the teacher after another student had finished presenting.

"Yep, go ahead just don't be too long." She replied, turning back to her marking.

He started to get up out of his seat. "Do you mind if y/n comes with me? I got a lot to carry, I could use his help." He continued.

"Mhm." She nodded, to busy with her work to really consider the question.

You both internally cheered and got up, nick still holding your hand as you walked out the classroom together. He made sure to walk slowly, as he knew you weren't feeling great.

As soon as you were out of ear shot of the classroom, nick sat down and pulled you with him.

"What's wrong? Anxious?" He asked gently.

You struggled to get any words out so just nodded.

"Take your time."

"Can't do this." You managed to force out eventually.

That was more than enough for him to understand.

He wrapped an arm around you, pulling you into a hug. "Try to breathe okay? Don't think about it for a second, we're out here, nothing's gonna happen anytime soon." He encouraged.

You nodded, following his lead as he breathed with you.

"That's really good y/n, keep going yeah? It'll be okay I promise, you're gonna do great. It'll be over before you know it." He assured you.

"No, no I can't do it. I can't have everyone's attention on me like that. What if I mess up and everyone laughs at me or they think my-" you shook your head, panic filling you up once again

"Hey hey it's okay, look at me okay." He spoke softly, moving to sit in front of you and taking your hands in his.

"Two minutes yeah? That's it, then you're all done. No more presentations for the rest of the year. You have nothing to worry about, I swear. I'll be with you the whole time okay? I can stand next to you and hold up your board whilst you talk if that would help? You're gonna be just fine." He smiled.

It didn't take long for you to smile too. He was right, having him there would make you feel so much more comfortable.

"Thank you so much nick, that'd help so so much." You replied, leaning over to hug him.

He held you there for a while, rubbing your back lightly and making sure that you felt okay again before returning to your lesson.

"Anytime love, I'm here for you. Next time you're feeling anxious just tell me okay? I'll always try my best to help you."

You weren't sure if it was the nickname or the nerves that made you blush. He's so cute.

"You're amazing, nick. That means the world to me." You sighed happily.

"You ready to do this?" He checked, before you both stood up.

"Yeah." You nodded.

You both walked back to class, and it was time for you presentation.

Nick went to the front with you. "You got this! You're gonna blow them all away. I'm so proud of you for doing this, no matter how it goes." He encouraged you, giving your hand a squeeze before dropping it to hold your board.

Let's just say you absolutely smashed it, and nick being there made it so much easier than you'd imagined.

The class applauded, nick clapping the loudest of course.

You returned back to your seats and nick turned to you, pride for you written all over his face.

"YOU DID IT! Congrats y/n that was amazing! I'm so so proud of you." He smiled.

You thanked him for all his help. "Couldn't have done it without you." You smiled back.

"Bet you could've, but I'm always happy to be of assistance." He laughed.

The class was soon dismissed and you walked out side by side.

"You know, you deserve more than just a congratulations, you nailed that assignment and you over came your fears, this deserves a proper celebration. Also, I've been wanting to do this for a while, so now seems like the perfect time." He continued, hesitating slightly before whatever was coming next.

Was this what you hoped it was?

"Y/n, would you um, would you wanna go on a date? With me?" He asked, his voice trembling slightly.

"Really? Yes! I'd love to, I would've asked you the same sooner or later id you hadn't today." You exclaimed joyfully.

"Perfect! I can't wait, I'll text you about it later!" He said as you got outside school, about to spilt up and go your separate ways home.

"Looking forward to it! I'll see you tommorow nick! Thanks again for all your help." You replied.

"No need to thank me, pretty. See you later!" Nick spoke as you both started walking away.