Thirty-eight | Ring

"Is it bad I want to rip that dress off you and ravish your body right now?"

"Yes, Rowan, it is bad, and Elias would kill you."

Rowan chuckled from his reclined position on the bed picking at the polished buttons on his tux. "I never liked these monkey suits."

"Well, it's too bad. They look great on you." Sylvie padded over, lifting the tulle skirt so she could lean and kiss his lips.

"Now, do you want to rip the dress off because it looks bad or because I look good in it?" She had picked an A-line vintage beach dress with a slight champagne hue to avoid the implications of her 'purity' and a pair of creamy pumps to match.

Rowan chuckled, eyeing her up and down hungrily. "You look ravishing. Perhaps we should marry you more often."

Sylvie laughed and swatted him, standing and turning back to the mirror to finish her subtle makeup. "Was that a proposal, Mr Hex?"

Rowan appeared at her shoulder, kissing across it to her neck. "Shifters do not marry, as we do not wish to possess each other as the tradition suggests."

"It told you it isn't like that for me."

"I know, but we have many ceremonies ahead for which I would ask you to be mine."

"Oh? Like what?"

He kissed her neck again and sniffed her hair, curled and tumbling down her back.

"Well, mating ceremonies, human turning events."

She stiffened as he spoke and front at him through the mirror. She wanted to put an end to those, the deaths feeling needless. He only smiled and hid his face behind her, stroking her curls softly.

"And, of course, all of the mated pairs couplings were successful. We will need a ceremony to celebrate all the upcoming births."

"What!" Sylvie spun, tears in her eyes and squeezed Rowan's shoulders. "They're all pregnant?"

"Yes, Amira confirmed it. Strong heartbeats too."

"Oh my god, that's so amazing. I should go congratulate them."

She headed for the door, but Rowan's hand on hers brought her back to reality.

"Well, maybe after I get married."

"That might be a good idea," Kian said, walking through the door with a handsome smile. She reciprocated and jumped into his arms, yelping when a tiny tearing sound came from her dress.

"You're lucky Kerensa is a good seamstress."

"She is?"

Kian hummed and kissed her forehead, lowering her to the ground. "Are you ready? Natalie and Rosie said you were almost done when Rowan kicked them out. I thought I better check he wasn't deflowering you," he added the last part with a sardonic smile, and Rowan barked a laugh.

She blushed, pressing onto her toes to kiss him one last time and inspected her dress. Nothing appeared amiss, and Rowan shook his head too.

"It still looks perfect. Like you."

She bit her lip and giggled softly, the giddiness overwhelming her suddenly. "Do you have the ring?"

Kian nodded, pulling a thick golden band from his pocket, swirling with patterns of red through it. "It was his father's. He's gonna be pissed with me for not returning it sooner."

She laughed. "Why didn't you?"

"I just knew he would need it for something important, and as you know, time apart makes the heart grow fonder."