Chapter 12

I almost hated myself for believing Axel wasn't an arrogant jerk. When he was alone with me, I now knew the way he acted must've been an act. It had to be when compared to way he acted yesterday. And if I were to be completely honest, it almost hurt. It was bothersome for sure and as I sat in English class, I tried to distract myself.

   Knowing anger was the best way to heal a wounded heart, I let it seep through me and smiled as I saw some guys staring at me. They grinned back and I knew this was the distraction I needed. As I ignored Axel, I decided to focus on the other guys who could possibly win my heart.

   One of the guys from the group approached me, wearing a smile. I smiled back and watched as he took Hannah's seat, since she wasn't here yet. He looked excited and I was touched. Although, I still couldn't help but find it peculiar that my peers could go from despising me to flirtatious like this.

"Hey Zoey," said the guy who I knew was named Archer. "I don't think we've spoken much and I'm wondering why now."

"Hey." I smiled. "Tell me about yourself."

And Archer did. He told me about himself and about the future he awaited. With delight written across his face, he spoke for five minutes and I listened attentively. I could tell he was a nice guy and that he had traits I would like in a guy, but yet, I found myself wanting to back away from him. My heart was racing for no reason at all, and it was almost like I was scared. I had no idea why, so forced those thoughts away.

Soon Hannah came and Archer got up to let her sit down. The gesture was sweet and as he left with a goodbye, I placed a hand on my racing heart. It was still pumping with nerves and I wondered why. Why was I randomly scared?

"So, Archer," Hannah said, sitting next to me. "He's hot and sweet. I'd get at him if I were you."

"Not my type." I shrugged, half lying. "I don't think I'd be interested."

Hannah sighed and shook her head. "What is your type?"

I didn't say anything because I didn't have an answer. I was one of the few teenagers who had never had a crush, which meant I didn't have a type. Actually, it seemed like I had no type. And because of that I mentally wished my peers good luck. Their task was a hard one.

"I don't know," I finally said. "I honestly have no idea if I could ever love."

"Is it because you don't want to or you can't?" Hannah asked.

Once again, I didn't reply. I wasn't sure of the answer and I suddenly wondered about myself.

*****

I smiled at my classmate, Drew, who offered to hold my books. Only because he was one of the quiet boys, I let him and noticed that a bunch of other guys were staring at me. I walked through the hallway to my locker and at my locker, I felt their eyes on me and I realized they were analyzing me, trying to figure out how to win my heart. And if I were to be completely honest, it made me uncomfortable.

   As I pulled out the books I needed, I thought of how much attention I received from having the kiss. I had always been the girl no one realized was in their class, but suddenly I was the girl everyone knew about. And right now, I was the girl every guy wanted. Some girls would do anything to be in my place, but I would give it away in a heartbeat.