Chapter 24

"So, where are we going hang out?" I asked as I got into his black car.

"A hill," he answered nonchalantly as he settled into the drivers seat.

I blinked. "A hill?"

"Yup." He smiled at me. "Knowing you, you don't like big, dazzled up events. You prefer nature and you like talking about life. That's what we're going to do."

I stared at him, my jaw hanging a bit, shocked by the fact that he knew me well. Without me even telling him that I was into those things, he had known. It was oddly touching and I had to force myself to look away, knowing I was staring at him for too long.

"What do you think?" Axel asked, pulling out of the schools parking lot.

"It sound great," I answered honestly.

  From my peripheral vision, I could see Axel grinning. My heart skipped a beat at the sight.

*****

We were at the top of a grassy hill. The wind was blowing and my hair was flying. So was his and as usual, I had this urge to run my fingers through his hair. I wanted to place his lovely, chocolate strands back in place, but obviously I couldn't do that. Not without embarrassing myself.

"Do you mind lying on the grass?" Axel asked, looking at me.

"Not at all," I answered, dropping to the ground.

I lay down and looked up at the sky. It was clear and blue and beautiful. The blue of it was a lovely shade and I knew it resembled Axel's eyes.

Axel went to my side and he dropped down. He was soon lying next to me, staring up at the sky as well. He lay near me and I had to fight the urge to look at him, knowing I'd start getting lost in his eyes. It was a bad habit I had gotten.

"What do you want to talk about?" I asked then, wanting to start a conversation to forget about my worrisome thoughts.

"Anything," Axel answered. "Everything."

"I don't think we have time for everything."

"I wish we did."

Axel's voice was soft and I couldn't help but glance at him. His eyes looked sad to my surprise, and I wondered if something was bugging him. I wanted to ask, but felt odd doing so.

"Do you hate our school?" Axel asked.

"Kind of," I replied. "I mean, I hate the people in it. The school isn't so bad."

"I get why you hate them now, but why before. What makes you hate them?"

I thought about it for a second, slightly unsure. Ever since freshman year I did, but I hadn't really thought of the reason. There were many, so I tried to come up with the biggest one.

"They're all followers," I answered eventually. "They agree with the shittiest opinions and try too hard to fit in. No offence, but The Kissing Game is a prime example of that."

Axel tensed up next to me and I looked at him. He hadn't looked at me once and I was slightly offended. But seeing the pained look he wore, worry bloomed within me.