Chapter 23

It was obvious by then. Whether I was happy about it or not was debatable, but I just had to admit it. After all this time with this incredible, frustrating boy, I knew I cared about him. It was obvious from the way I couldn't bare having him mad at me.

With Hannah at my side in the mall, we went to a store with weird gimmicks. Hannah was looking for a birthday gift for Archer and I was just looking at the journals and notebooks there. They were special ones with tasks and such in them, reminding me of the notebook Axel gave me. And before I knew it, I spotted it along with some other ones. Curious, I went to them.

My eyes immediately then landed on a notebook that said Twenty-Five Reasons Why I Can't Stop Thinking About You and I smiled. I picked it up and stared at it, knowing it was similar to the one Axel gave me. My cheeks reddened as I had this sudden urge to give it to him. Knowing I never did get him anything, I decided to actually do it.

Bringing the book to the cashier, I then purchased it. Even though Axel had forgiven me, I knew that I should get him something. It only made sense after he had for me.

*****

    "Here," I said, handing the notebook to Axel.

    My hands were slightly shaking as I handed Axel the notebook and I felt vulnerable, knowing I was confessing what I truly thought about him in it. With him right in front of me, about to view it, I felt nauseous with nerves.

    "You didn't have to," Axel said, staring at the small, blue book with amazement. "Zoey, I'm flattered."

    "Don't read it now," I said, flustered. "Please."

    "But." Axel pouted at me. "I have to know what you gave me."

   I shook my head, feeling sweat build up on my forehead. We were outside and it was hot, but I knew I wasn't sweating because of that.

    "Why not?" Axel asked. "Come on Zoey.

    "It's embarrassing," I answered, knowing it was with the books title still not read by Axel. "Read it at home."

   "Please Zoey."

    "No."

    "Fine." He sighed. "Five pages. That's all."

    I shook my head. School was almost over. He could wait two hours to read it.

    "Five pages." Axel gave me a sad, pleading look, earning him a groan. "That's all I'm asking."

    "Fine," I grumbled. "Go ahead."

    "Okay." He grinned, eyes moving to the title. "Twenty-five reasons why I can't stop thinking about you."

    Axel paused at the title, causing me to blush. He didn't react, but his eyes lingered on the title, causing me to want to die with embarrassment. Thankfully, he then went to the first page.

    "I can't stop thinking about: how infuriating you are," Axel read, raising his eyebrows.

    He flipped the page. "How annoying you are."