Chapter 28

"Go out on a date with me?" Axel asked out of nowhere as we sat outside.

   "Random much?" I replied, even though my heart skipped a beat.

    We had just been talking about the future and all of the sudden the question flew out of his mouth. It made me excited, but I pretended I couldn't care less. I couldn't let Axel know about my feelings until school was done, so I was trying harder to hide them.

    "Is that a no?" Axel asked, looking deflated.

   He looked sad as he looked away and that hurt me. So even though I should be keeping my distance from him for so many reasons, I suddenly placed a hand on his shoulder. Axel whipped his head to look at me, surprised, and I looked away shyly. Love had a way of changing you.

    "I would love to go on a date with you," I said honestly.

    I looked back at Axel and saw that he was smiling. His eyes were gentle on me and my heart fluttered. Having someone like Axel be your crush was hard.

    "You've changed," he suddenly commented. "In a good way."

   "How?" I asked, curious.

    "Weren't you scared to be with boys before? Now you're going on a date with one and you're not pushing me away." He smiled. "I think you're welcoming the idea of being with someone."

    "N-No," I blurted out, face reddening. "I'm not."

    "Still stubborn." His smile grew. "But fine, I'm happy you don't hate guys anymore. Being with one isn't such a bad thing, is it?"

    I stared at him, thinking of the time I was anxious of being with a boy. They made me uneasy because of what Mom told me, but Axel taught me that they can be trustworthy. They can be your friend and great company, and even when it came to loving one, it wasn't so bad.

    So, I said, "Yeah, being with a boy isn't so bad."

    Axel grinned and I smiled. One day, I would thank him for teaching me to be less close minded.

*****

    I didn't know why I agreed, but we were at a house party. I was wearing a fitted black dress and Axel was wearing a blue plaid top and jeans. We had just entered the house and my heartbeat accelerated as I realized this would be my first house party.

    Axel had told me about it and said that with school nearing an end, it would be nice to go to a house party and see some of my classmates. Apparently house parties had a way of bringing people closer and because Axel sounded so eager, I had somehow agreed. A part of me regretted it now.

    "Are you excited?" Axel asked next to me.

    "Yeah," I lied, grinning.

    To my surprise, Axel suddenly took my hand. He squeezed it and then to more of my surprise, he kept holding it. My heart was racing.

    "It'll be great," he said, grinning. "I promise."

    I couldn't help but smile and I nodded, trusting him. With Axel at my side, I knew this would be a good day.