Chapter 15

"You, me, outside for lunch," Axel said, smirking.

   My eyebrows rose. "What?"

   I noticed Hannah was grinning next to me and chose to ignore her as I stared at Axel, wondering what he wanted. Class was about to start and a few people were watching us, leaving me feeling uneasy. I didn't want anyone thinking Axel and I had something going on when we didn't.

   "During lunch let's go outside," he said. "Let's get to know each other."

   "You work fast," I said, amazed. "You literally asked if I would get to know you yesterday."

   Axel grinned. "For you, I couldn't wait."

   I rolled my eyes, but found my heart stirring. This feeling was getting annoying so I sighed, knowing I needed to see more of Axel's flaws. Only then could I start to hate him again and that was what I wanted.

"Fine," I said. "Let's get this out of the way."

"Did I ever tell you you're a very pleasant person?" Axel asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Many have."

Axel shook his head, but I caught the small smile he wore. He then ran his fingers through his hair, leaving me staring at him, trying to capture every movement. There was something about the way he moved with confidence that caught my eye.

"I'll see you after class," he said, winking.

He turned around and walked off, and I watched him. I noticed that he was still smiling and something in me twisted.

"I'm excited," Hannah said next to me. "I can't wait to see where this goes."

   "Nowhere," I said, looking at her. "Watch me realize I truly do hate him."

   Hannah shook her head and smiled, leaving me huffing. No one believed my words. Not even myself.

*****

   "So, what are we doing?" I asked as I placed my books into my locker.

   Axel leaned against the locker next to mine. His hair fell into his eyes and my grip on my textbook tightened as I felt this urge to touch his hair. Admittedly, he had beautiful hair. It was this dark, chocolate brown that fell to the side in thick strands. From the look of them, I knew they would be soft like silk.

   "Wow," Axel said, zoning me back in. "We didn't even start our date and you're already getting lost in my eyes."

   "N-no!" I couldn't help but flush. "It's not even a date!"

   "Our 'hang out'." Axel shook his head. "Same thing."

   "No, date would mean I like you." I closed my locker and turned to face him. "Hang out means I'm just chilling with you."

   "Wait. You only date someone if you like them?"

   "Of course."

   "That... That defeats the purpose of dating." Axel looked utterly confused. "The point of dating is to get to know someone to see if you're interested in them."