Chapter 31

Prom was finally here and I had mixed feelings about it. One part of me was thrilled to go with Axel and have a blast, but the other part of me kept thinking of what Mom said. Dad had cheated on her. He had broken her heart the night of prom. What if the same thing happened to me?

Shaking my head, I knew I was being silly. Axel wasn't like that. He wasn't a player. But even then, I felt sad, knowing that I was going against Mom's wishes. She wasn't being fair with me, but I still wanted to make her happy.

I sighed and left home, knowing I needed to get my hair and makeup done. At the thought of dressing up, I became excited once again. I hoped it would be a good night.

*****

I was ready and staring at myself in the mirror. Axel would be coming soon and I was standing by the door, waiting for him to arrive. As I waited, I wondered if I looked okay.

My blonde hair was curled, my make up was simple. I was wearing a long sleeve golden dress that flowed out beautifully at my waist. Everything looked good, but for some reason, I felt weird. Probably because I rarely ever dressed up.

"You look beautiful," I heard Mom say out of nowhere, causing me to turn around.

She was smiling at me, her eyes soft, and I smiled back. I was thankful she was putting differences aside.

"Thank you," I said.

"Axel is a lucky guy." Mom's smile grew. "I hope you have a good night."

Mom turned around and left, leaving me staring after her. Her words meant a lot to me and finally, I felt like I could truly enjoy myself. With Mom not against my choice, I felt relaxed.

The doorbell suddenly rang and I quickly went to the door and opened it. Axel was there and his eyes grew wide at the sight of me. I blushed and felt butterflies from his reaction and how handsome he looked.

"Oh god, Zoey," he said, eyes wide with amazement. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," I said shyly. "You don't look too bad yourself."

Axel grinned and extended his hand towards me. I took it and he led me to the car. Excitement was running through me.

*****

    Axel and I were dancing, laughing as we kept our arms wrapped around each other. Hannah and Archer were dancing next to us, grinning at the sight of us. Prom was incredible and I was loving every second of it.

    Everyone was on the dance floor of the hall, dancing their hearts out. The lights were dim and the place was hot, but I barely noticed it as I had a blast with Axel. We had been dancing for the past hour.

    "Are you having a good time?" Axel asked suddenly.

    "The best." I grinned. "How about you?"

    He grinned. "Same."

    He pressed his forehead to mine and closed his eyes for a moment, allowing me to study him. Axel was gorgeous. So gorgeous and he cleaned up well. My heart was racing at the thought.