•TEN•

I walk into sixth period, which is home ec with my girls. I see Maria on her phone at our station. I walk over and drop my backpack down. I open my drawer and tie my apron on as I stare at Maria.

  "What you doing?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows. She giggled, putting her phone down. The bell rang, and Baley was no where to be seen.

  "Ba was in fifth right?" Maria asked, as if unsure. I nodded, staring around trying to spot Baley.

"Baley Bryant?" Mrs. Goodwin called, taking roll. Everyone looked around, searching for Baley. "So absent." She said, looking at the computer. The door burst open, and we darted our heads to look at the panting Baley standing there.

  "I'm here!" She said, exhaustedly. Maria and I looked at her, but she avoided eye contact with us. "I'm sorry in late. I had to take care of something." She muttered taking her seat. She kept her head down, as Maria and I continued to stare a hole into her.

  "Well. I'm glad your here. But you were late." Mrs. Goodwin said, writing a pass. "And I'm sure you won't be late to detention on Friday." She said, eyeing Baley. Her head shot up to stare at Mrs. Goodwin.

  "Friday? As in game day Friday? I can't have detention on game day?" She complained. Mrs. Goodwin shook her head.

  "Maybe next time you will think twice before having to take care of something." Mrs. Goodwin said. Baley sighed, putting her head on the table. "Okay. Now, Zoey Cole?" She called.

  "Present." I said, raising my hand. She grinned, nodding in my direction. I stared at Baley, but she didn't look at me. "Baley!" I exclaimed, only so she could hear me.

  "What?" She muttered. I lifted her head to face me and she was frowning.

  "What happened?" I asked her. Her eyes filled with tears. I hugged her, and she took a deep breath. I could tell, she didn't want to tell me what happened yet. And I respected that. She had to take care of something personally, and that was her choice. She would tell us when she was ready, but I wanted to know what she was doing when she was late.

  "I understand you don't want to tell me about it yet, but I would like to know what you were doing." I said, looking into her blue eyes. She wiped the tears that had slipped out and nodded.

  "Max was found on campus with drugs. The teacher knew we were siblings, and thought I was in on it too. She searched my bags and everything. She finally let me go. That's why I was late." She explained. I stared at her in disbelief. Max was never the type to do anything bad, but this was beyond bad.

  "Ba." I mumbled. She shook her head. I hugged her again and she continued to cry.

  "They think there were others in on it too. I'm scared it was-" she stared,  it I cut her off, knowing who she thought.

  "Luke." I muttered. She nodded. I hugged her tighter, as Mrs. Goodwin finished roll. I let go of her, and she tied on her apron.

  "Okay class. Today we will be making banana bread. Everyone, open your recipe book to page sixty three." Mrs. Goodwin announced. We did as told, when the speaker came on.

  "Attention students. Today we will be doing a drug search through every class. Please leave everything at once a leave the school building. Your teachers will lead you to the quad where you will have the rest of the school day to do as wanted. We take this very seriously, and we expect you to do the same. Thank you." We heard the principle announce. We all began to leave and he class, and go outside. I grabbed Baley's hand, and she looked at me, smiling. I put my arm around her, and she sighed.