Chapter 87 - A moment of panic.

Manik's P.O.V:

Blaring horns! Flickering traffic lights! The city noisy yet everything suddenly felt like it came to a halt. The news from Nandini had truly shocked me. How could Soha stoop so low? And how could Nandini believe her? She did not once trust me enough to speak about it with me. I hate fighting with her! I hate seeing her cry! I hate causing her pain! But what else am I supposed to do? We were supposed to trust each other, be there for each other, but she left me in the dark. I was driving away from her house when my trail of thought was broken by a faint beeping sound. A sound of what possibly sounded like an emergency vehicle. The sound started getting louder and louder by the second. My eyes roamed around the noisy streets of Mumbai and eventually an emergency vehicle came into sight. An ambulance going in the opposite direction towards where I was travelling. It went in the direction of Nandini's house. A sudden thought crossed my mind! What if Nandini? No! She wouldn't! She would never in a million years harm herself like that. I kept telling myself she wouldn't but my worries got the best of me. I quickly made a u turn and followed the ambulance. I hadn't travelled far from Nandini house. Within two minutes time, I reached near Nandini's street. I prayed the ambulance wouldn't turn into that street but to my dismay it did! My heart beat started racing faster. I drove behind the ambulance and I was shocked to find it stop near Nandini's house. Nandini, nothing can happen to her! She has to be okay. I pulled my car to one side and decided to check on Nandini immediately. As I locked my car, I noticed the car parked opposite me. It was Cabir's! Why was Cabir here? What has happened to Nandini? My heart carried on beating faster and faster as I ran towards her house. Please nothing happen to her. Please. As I reached Nandini's house, I saw Cabir outside talking to Suresh uncle, one of Nandini's neighbours. I ran towards him and loaded him with questions.

"Where's Nandini? What happened to her? Woh theek to hai nai? Answer me damn it!" I shouted as I grabbed onto his shoulders.

"Calm down Manik!" He said in an attempt to reassure me.

"Calm down? How can I calm down? My Nandini, she's hurt and you're telling me to calm down!" I screamed louder.

"Manik?" I heard her soft voice call out to me. I turned around immediately to find her looking at me with her pale face. Her eyes were more puffy than usual, it was all a result of the crying.

"Nandini! Nandini! Tum theek ho! Mujhe lagaa that...." I said as I ran towards her and hugged her.

"That I will do something to myself! Mujhe itni kamzor samajhtay ho? I am a fighter Manik, no matter how hurt I am, I won't take a wrong step!" She whispered into my ears.

"I just thought, I, I saw the ambulance and it was coming towards your house and..." I said hesitantly as I left the hug.

"And you thought I've done something to myself. Manik I love you a lot but I would never think of taking such a step." She said softly.

"I was just so worried!" I muttered.

"Why? Why were you worried? I thought it was over between us!" She asked with hopeful eyes.

"You're right! It is over between us but that does not mean I don't care for you!" I said.

"Why do you still care for me then Manik?" She questioned.

"I don't want to get into this!" I stated as I turned around. Cabir was staring at us with a confused look. He probably didn't hear our conversation but our facial expressions and gestures showed something was wrong.

"Why not?" I heard her say a little loudly.

"Guys, what are you arguing about? Actually I don't care!" Cabir said as he walked closer to us.